FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, LARGE MAGAZINE TO WEST OF THE SERIES OF FOUR MAGAZINES IN MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1203528

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, LARGE MAGAZINE TO WEST OF THE SERIES OF FOUR MAGAZINES IN MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, LARGE MAGAZINE TO WEST OF THE SERIES OF FOUR MAGAZINES IN MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203528 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 03:39:20.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, LARGE MAGAZINE TO WEST OF THE SERIES OF FOUR MAGAZINES IN MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Weedon Bec

National Grid Reference: SP 62099 59552

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/188 BRIDGE STREET 29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON (West side) FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, LARGE MAGAZINE TO WEST OF THE SERIES OF FOUR MAGAZIN ES IN MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE

GV II* Magazine. c1857. English bond red brick, gabled Welsh slate roofs with moulded corbels to kneelers of coped gables. Stepped eaves to side elevations. Plan incorporates four vaulted chambers, and the magazine is separted from the earlier group by an earth traverse of the same date. Segmental arches over four doorways in north elevation, with ventilators above: each has a ventilator with pulley-operated inner and outer shutters; iron outer and timber inner frames. South elevation is similar, except doorways widened late C20. Side elevations have perforated wrought-iron plates to ventilators, which are baffled internally. Interior: catenary arches to each chamber, with inserted openings to originally blind openings between.

Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. Although the magazines (drawings of 1816 in Royal Engineers Library, W140 (D38), and later plans and drawings also archived there) are smaller in terms of their individual scale than the late 18th century example at Priddy's Hard opposite the naval dock at Portsmouth (listed grade I and like the Weedon examples built to the distinctive British double-vaulted plan), as a group they had no rival until the suite of traversed magazines were built at Bull Point, Plymouth, in the 1850s (Scheduled Ancient Monument). Catenary arches were first used at Tipnor in the 1790s and then Colonel D'Arcy's magazine at Upnor. The use of traverses makes the group highly innovatory in terms of its planning, blast walls of earth (sometimes faced in brick) being henceforth a characteristic features of magazine complexes. These traverses have also uniquely assumed an architectural form.

Drawings of this magazine in Royal Engineers Library W54 (810), W55 (D45) 810, W57 (D43)). For full details of the site see description of Storehouse No 2.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360834

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing