LOWER SOUTHWOOD COTTAGE LOWER SOUTHWOOD FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203715
Date first listed:
26-May-1987
Statutory Address:
LOWER SOUTHWOOD COTTAGE
Statutory Address:
LOWER SOUTHWOOD FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOWER SOUTHWOOD COTTAGE
LOWER SOUTHWOOD FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203715 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 07:43:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
LOWER SOUTHWOOD COTTAGE
Statutory Address:
LOWER SOUTHWOOD FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Rockbeare
National Grid Reference:
SY 02197 93421

Details

SY 09 SW ROCKBEARE

3/103 Lower Southwood - Farmhouse and adjoining Lower Southwood Cottage - II

Farmhouse and adjoining cottage, originally all one house. Early C17, refurbished circa 1700 and the cottage incorporates part of a late C19 coach house. The older parts are plastered cob on rubble footings, much rebuilt or faced up with circa 1700 brick on rubble footings and some late C19 brick; brick or stone rubble stacks topped with C19 brick and with some late C19 chimney pots; thatch roof and Roman tiles to the late C19 section. U-shaped building. The south-facing main block has a 3-room-and-through-passage plan with a small unheated dairy instead of inner room at the left (western) end. The hall has an axial stack backing onto the dairy and there is a parlour with an end stack at the right(eastern) end. A kitchen block with projecting outer lateral stack is built at right angles behind the left end and the main stair is located in the angle between the kitchen and main block. Lower Southwood Cottage is found in the right end rear block. It has 2 rooms. The front room is early C17, contains a disused stairwell and is served by a rear axial stack and the rear room has been converted from a late C19 coach house, All 2 storeys. Regular but not symmetrical 7-window brick front. The brick is laid to Flemish bond and makes decorative use of burnt headers. At the bottom is a plinth of rounded bricks over exposed rubble footings. All the windows have low segmental arches over. Those second in from the left end are blind. The rest contain similar late C19 casements with glazing bars. The front passage doorway right of centre contains a late C19 4-panel door behind a contemporary porch with trellis sides and a tiled gable roof with shaped bargeboards. The roof is gable-ended to right and hipped to left. The east-facing outer face of the right-hand rear block has the blind gable end of the main block. This is built of circa 1700 brick which appears to continue into the rear block but most here has been rebuilt with C19 brick and contains a 2- window front of late C19 casements with glazing bars. Both rear blocks have hipped roofs. Interior. The basic structure appears to retain a good deal of early C17 work although much is hidden by later plaster. However, the screens either side are late C17 frames and partly exposed; the timbers are of slight scantling with straight braces and the lower side contains a contemporary 2-panel door. The hall, kitchen and front room of the cottage rear block all have early C17 soffit-chamfered end scroll-stopped crossbeams. The service end parlour was rebuilt circa 1700 and has a plain soffit-chamfered crossbeam and a brick fireplace with a curving pentan and oak lintel shaped to a segmental arch. The hall fireplace is blocked although the large size of its oak lintel is evident. The kitchen fireplace is large and built of stone but its lintel is covered over. The cottage fireplace is blocked. The present stair is probably C19 although the door to it from the hall is late C17 with 2 fielded panels. The disused stairwell in the cottage is early C17 and oak framed. The chamber over the front cottage room has the remains of a C17 plaster cornice with a simple reeded moulding. The 4-bay roof of the main block is original and unusual in that the front has simple stright principals whilst the rear has side- pegged jointed crucks. The collars here could not be examined but are probably pegged dovetail-shaped and lap-jointed like the collar examined on the side-pegged jointed cruck over the early C17 section of the cottage rear block. In the roofspace the top of early C17 framed crosswall between the front block and cottage can be examined. It is close-studded with the lathes set in holes to create a ladder backing for the cob infill. The roof over the kitchen is circa 1700 comprising 1-frame trusses of relatively slender scantling with pegged lap-jointed collars. Lower Southwood is an interesting and attractive farmhouse.

Listing NGR: SY0219793421

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
352425
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/09790/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Jane Atkinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].