This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STABLE BLOCK AND RIDING SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLE BLOCK AND RIDING SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1203779

Location

STABLE BLOCK AND RIDING SCHOOL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Rotherham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Wentworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Aug-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382392

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

SK 39 NE WENTWORTH WENTWORTH WOODHOUSE

4/131 Stable Block and Riding School (formerly listed 29.4.52 with Westworth Woodhouse)

GV II

The address shall be amended to read; WENTWORTH WOODHOUSE

Stable Block and Riding School (formerly listed with Wentworth Woodhouse)

The grade shall be amended to read: Grade I.

------------------------------------

SK39NE WENTWORTH WENTWORTH WOODHOUSE

4/131 Stable Block and Riding School (formerly listed 29.4.52 with Westworth Woodhouse)

GV II

Stable block and riding school now part of college of further education. Started 1766 and in use by 1779, riding school completed 1789 (Wragg); converted to present use c1950. By John Carr of York for Charles Wentworth, 2nd Marquis of Rockingham; completed for his nephew the 4th Earl Fitzwilliam. Ashlar and dressed sandstone, Westmorland slate roof. Quadrangular plan with riding school set behind to rear right. Palladian style. Front elevation: 2 storeys, 3-storey towers; 15 bays. Plinth. Rusticated quoins. Central portico and bays 4 and 12 break forward and are rusticated. Portico: paired Tuscan columns flank tall, round-arched carriage entrance retaining contemporary iron gates; arch with impost band and console-shaped keystone. Plain frieze, heavy mutules to pediment. Ridge surmounted by a drum with clock, side-wall sundials and colonnaded cupola with ball finial. Outer bays each have a tall sash with glazing bars and a small 6-pane casement above, all within round-arched panel; continuous impost band to archivolts. Mutule cornice. Bays 4 and 12 rise as towers each with blind balustrade beneath 6-pane sash; cornice to hipped roof with central stack. Balustrades link towers with portico. Hipped roof with ridge and end stacks. Quadrangle: many doorways with original panelled doors in architraves with pulvinated friezes and cornices. Ground-floor openings in round- arched panels; piers retain tethering rings and lead downpipes with griffin emblems. Rear range: 15 bays; central 7 bays are 2-storey, other bays single-storey. Pedimented and part-rusticated central bay breaks forward as do bays 5 and 11. Central doorway with fanlight and archivolt with console-shaped keystone. Flanking ground-floor bays originally with large round-arched carriage entrances now glazed. Band beneath 3 iron lanterns. 1st-floor windows are 6-pane sashes in architraves. Modillioned cornice. Innermost single-storey bays have doorways, other bays have sashes with glazing bars. Moulded cornice with blocking course. Side ranges: also 15 bays. Part-rusticated central bays break forward and rise as hipped-roof towers. Other bays single-storey: bays 4 and 12 also break forward and have pediments. Doors to principal bays otherwise round-arched sashes with glazing bars, archway through central bay of western side. Riding school to rear: tall, single-storey block, lit by lunettes beneath eaves.

Interior: front range least altered,retaining feeding racks in round- arched niches, stalls removed, disposition of upper-floor rooms unchanged. Other ranges converted for present use, riding school forming gymnasium.

R. B. Wragg, "The Life and Works of John Carr of York: Palladian Architect', unpub.thesis, 1975, University of Sheffield, vol 2, ch.IV.

Listing NGR: SK3935597857

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Wragg, Brian, Worsley, Giles (editor), The Life and Works of John Carr of York, (2000)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 South Yorkshire,

National Grid Reference: SK 39355 97857

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203779 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 06:41:51.

End of official listing