Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203847.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 05:12:22.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 44472 16739


WOODSTOCK MARKET PLACE SP4416NW (East side) 9/143 Town Hall 18/10/49 (Formerly listed as under Market Street) GV II Town hall. 1766, by Sir William Chambers, with alterations of 1898. Limestone ashlar; hipped concrete tile roof. Square plan, with town hall raised above market hall which was enclosed in 1898. 2-storey, 3-window range Pedimented front: rusticated ground floor has three semi-circular arched openings blocked in 1898, with horned sashes and crest set in open pediment of central doorway; moulded string course, and first-floor 6-pane sashes set in moulded. stone architraves. Modillioned eaves cornice; crest of lion and unicorn set in tympanum. Side walls, in similar style, have similar blocked openings with late C19 sashes, double-doors with fanlight to left; 6-pane sashes flank blind window on first floor, and drinking fountain to right installed 1861. Interior: late C19 dog-leg with landing staircase to first floor, which has panelled doors set in moulded architraves; 2 mid C18 fireplaces, with fretted Greek Revival frieze to rear. On ground floor, are Doric columns to original market hall, which has C17 studded door to rear; late C19 pedimented doorways. C17 parish chest. Chambers' building had a simple lock-up to the rear of the ground floor; the staircase partly enclosed the fire engine. In 1898 the ground floor was enclosed to form a Mayor's Parlour and Library to front and stair hall and attendant's room to rear. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p857; Information from VCH)

Listing NGR: SP4447216739


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 857


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09969/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].