CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1204027
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204027 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 09:27:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Wherstead
National Grid Reference:
TM 16141 40699

Details

TM 1640 WHERSTEAD WHERSTEAD PARK 6/32 Church of St Mary 22.2.55 GV II* Church. C12 origins with C14-15 nave and chancel and C15 tower. C19 porch and vestry. Extensive restoration of 1863-4 included refacing of nave and chancel walls. Flint rubble and septaria tower with ashlar dressings and later brick battlements. Other- wise knapped and roughly-coursed flint with ashlar dressings. Porch has glazed timber superstructure on flint and ashlar base. Plain tile roof with ashlar coping. West tower, 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel under continuous roof. South porch, north vestry. 3-stage tower with diagonal flushwork buttresses. 3-light west window with C19 Perpendicular tracery. 2nd floor recessed on band, single trefoil-headed light. 2-light belfry opening under Tudor arch. Battlements and crocketed pinnacles. Nave: 2-light windows with C19 tracery. Porch contains Norman doorway with one order of colonettes with crude head capitals painted over and arch of 2 orders with chevron moulding forming lozenges. Blocked north door with worn shafts and remains of one capital. Chancel: restored lancet to west, Cl9 priests door and 2-light C19 traceried window. 3-light east window with geometrical tracery. Vestry has C19 window with apparently reused hood mould and foliate stops. Interior: tall tower arch. Trefoil- arched piscina on engaged shafts. C19 hammer-beam roof and fittings.



Listing NGR: TM1614140699

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
277311
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11831/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].