CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204035

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Sep-2010

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BIGBY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204035 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 04:36:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BIGBY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brigg

National Grid Reference: TA 00054 07191

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



712/2/54 BIGBY STREET 06-AUG-76 (North side) CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (Formerly listed as: BIGBY STREET PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN)

II Built 1841-3 by W A Nicholson, some alterations in 1883 by W White.

MATERIALS: Small, whitish-grey stones cut and laid brick fashion. Tiled roofs.

PLAN: Aisled nave and chancel, SE porch tower, N porch.

EXTERIOR: The church is tightly hemmed in externally by other buildings. Early English in style, it has paired lancet windows with detached shafts. The W window is unusually high to accommodate the neighbouring buildings, and there is a small E lancet. The tall, buttressed tower is of four stages and has a S door with a very shallow, gabled porch and lancets set within blind arcading in the bell stage. Corner pinnacles on the tower and at the W end.

INTERIOR: The arcades have octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. There is one bay of sexpartite vaulting, probably plaster, in the chancel.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Very plain C19 nave benches and choir stalls with simple poppy heads. Some C19 and early C20 glass.

HISTORY: A church was first built at Brigg in 1699, which until then had been a hamlet served by the parish church at Wrawby. This Classical church was demolished and replaced by the present church in 1841-3, which was considerably larger than its predecessor. It was designed in the Early English style then fashionable by W A Nicholson (1803-53 of Lincoln). It became an independent parish in 1872, and was refurnished in 1883 by the noted Victorian church architect William White.

SOURCES: Pevsner, N., Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (1989), 185

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St John, Brigg, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Church of 1841-3 by W A Nicholson in an attractive Early English style. * Restored and altered in 1883 by William White.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 165439

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing