WOOLVERSTONE HOUSE INCLUDING WALLS ATTACHED TO EACH SIDE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1204044

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: WOOLVERSTONE HOUSE INCLUDING WALLS ATTACHED TO EACH SIDE, MANNINGS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOOLVERSTONE HOUSE INCLUDING WALLS ATTACHED TO EACH SIDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204044 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 13:36:42.

Location

Statutory Address: WOOLVERSTONE HOUSE INCLUDING WALLS ATTACHED TO EACH SIDE, MANNINGS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh (District Authority)

Parish: Woolverstone

National Grid Reference: TM 18288 38758

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 1838 WOOLVERSTONE MANNINGS LANE (east side) 7/38 Woolverstone House 16.3.72 including walls attached to each side (formerly listed as Corners) GV II* Shown on OS map as Corners House. Convent, now school house. 1901 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Mrs Berners. Red brick, partly tile hung. Plain tile roofs, now mainly replaced by unsympathetic modern tiles. Courtyard plan with single- storey U-shaped entrance range. Single-storey chapel attached to left. Main range 2 storeys and attic with triple gabled entrance front. Entrance range: carriage arch with timber gate. Leaded-light casements in pegged flush timber surrounds. Tall, steeply-pitched swept roof, tall ridge stacks. Main range, entrance front: Jettied 1st floor on square tile piers which divide into 4 shafts with cornices. Central studded door with miniature balusters to peep- hole and original fittings. Tile lintel. Further casements of same type as entrance range. 1st floor has mullion and transom casements with leaded lights. Casements with leaded lights to attic. Garden front: Single-storey projecting outer bays under catslide roofs clasp large stacks which rise to gables. Central entrance with splayed jambs and arch of 4 orders. Splayed buttresses. Casement windows with leaded lights in flush pegged timber surrounds. Band of casements between gables below eaves. Clustered stacks to rear chimneys and further group of 5 diamond-set stacks to ridge. Steeply-pitched swept roof. Chapel recessed at right of garden front has external stack to gable end and similar casement windows. In angle between chapel and entrance range is an external stack with bellcote. Garden walls to each side of house, approximately 3 metres in height with buttresses and tiled coping, round arched gateways to each side with splayed jambs and arch of 2 orders. To left, wall ramps down to further gateway. Interior: Many original fittings including doors, window furniture fireplaces, tiled floors etc. Groin vaulted passage runs length of house to entrance front. C17 style staircase opposite entrance. Known origi- nally as St Paul's Home, the house was built for Mrs C Berners, a lay sister of the East End Sisters of Mercy.

Illustrated in Sandon, E., Suffolk Houses, 1977, p332.



Listing NGR: TM1828838758

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 277317

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sandon, E, Suffolk Houses: A Study of Domestic Architecture, (1977), 332

End of official listing