CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204062 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 15:47:27.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Derbyshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 28601 35993
SK 23 NE; 2/42
PARISH OF RADBOURNE, CHURCH LANE (South Side)
Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C13, early C14, C15, Cl7, porch added 1792, repaired 1844. Ashlar and coursed squared sandstone with stone dressings and plinth. Shallow-pitched plain-tile roofs hidden by low projecting parapets with ridgeback copings. Two-stage tower to north-west corner of nave, north nave aisle, lower chancel and south porch.
West elevation of nave has central cusped Y-tracery early C14 window and large stepped buttress to south side. To north side is the Perp tower with stepped, full-height diagonal buttresses to its western corners and clasping buttresses to its eastern corners. West face has central trefoil-headed lancet with narrow staircase window and moulded string course over. Second stage has pointed, louvred bell openings with rectilinear tracery and returned hoodmoulds, set in deep chamfered surrounds, to all sides, that to south blocked to base by clock face. Above, embattled parapets with ridgeback copings and corner pinnacles rising from the buttresses, that to north west crocketed. Tower is surmounted by wrought iron weathervane, reputedly by Robert Bakewell. Nave aisle has blocked chamfered pointed doorcase to west, cusped Y-tracery C14 window and massive later buttress to east, and a 3-light C15 east window. Chancel has a C17 2-light: chamfered mullion window to west and to east a C19 polygonal vestry with chamfered pointed doorcase and chamfered single light windows. Beyond, to east, is a single C14 Y-tracery window. East chancel elevation has full-height corner buttresses and central C15 panel tracery window in deep moulded surround with hoodmould, the lower part of the window blocked in C19. South elevation has two C17, tall chamfered mullion windows to chancel and one 3-light cusped intersecting tracery C14 window, flanked by stepped buttresses to nave, with gabled C18 porch to west. This has semicircular headed raised doorcase with raised imposts and keystone, also its original panelled door. Above a clerestory of three C17 2-light chamfered mullion windows.
INTERIOR has three-bay C15 north arcade with hexagonal piers, moulded capitals and double-chamfered pointed arches. No chancel or tower arches, the tower being separate from the aisle, with only a blocked pointed doorcase and deep four-centred arched window over. All roofs are C16, but much restored. C19 rood screen in Dec Style between nave and chancel. Chancel has C19 choir stalls and reredos, and also early C13 double sedilla with nailhead moulding to arches and mutilated carved capital to central column. To east side of the sedilla is C14 arched piscina. Nave has a variety of pews, with early C19 box pews to back of nave, late C19 ones to body of nave, and three lower pews made up of C14 carved bench ends from Dale Abbey. The linenfold panels to the front of the box pews were reputedly also from Dale Abbey. Also to west end of nave is the C19 octagonal stone font on coloured marble columns which has a sumptuously carved Jacobean weighted cover. Pulpit to east end of nave also C19.
Numerous monuments including several to the Pole family of Radbourne Hall, now placed in north aisle. The most impressive of these is the full height wall memorial of 1684 to German Pole, which is generally attributed to Grinling Gibbons. This has a deep moulded base with a large gadrooned sarcophagus on lions feet, flanked by gadrooned urns, over and above again a tall segmental pediment with putti, topped by achievements. Illegible inscriptions to either side on folding drapery. Below is the remains of a C15 alabaster table tomb with weepers in crocketed niches to sides and incised figure of lord and lady to top. Also in north aisle are two re-set C15 effigies of either Peter or John de la Pole and his wife. On the floor are two slabs, one in marble of 1676 and one in slate with coat of arms to top of 1710, both to the Pole family. North side of nave also has an alabaster table tomb, with shields to base and incised figures with Latin inscription to edge, dated 1454, to Ralph de la Pole. West end of nave has oval wall memorial with flaming urn finial to Mary Parker of 1708 and south side of chancel has elaborate Gothick C19 wall memorial to Hunt family.
Pair of C18 hatchments to west end of church. East window has C19 stained glass and south nave window has small C20 stained glass panel, otherwise windows have clear glass.
Listing NGR: SK2859335991
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing