14, 15 AND 16, CHURCH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204067

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1951

Statutory Address: 14, 15 AND 16, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 14, 15 AND 16, CHURCH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204067 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 13:18:47.

Location

Statutory Address: 14, 15 AND 16, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Harwich

National Grid Reference: TM 26050 32604

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARWICH

TM2632NW CHURCH STREET 609-1/2/10 (South West side) 25/09/51 Nos.14, 15 AND 16

GV II

House, now 2 dwellings. Late medieval, C17 and early C19. Timber-framed and plastered with clay plain tile roof. Two storeys with attics and cellars. EXTERIOR: front has 2 hipped dormers with double-hung sash windows and small panes. Projecting painted timber cornice concealing gutter with frieze of little arches. First floor has 4 irregularly spaced flush double-hung sash windows with small panes and panelled treatment of plaster. Ground floor has 3 shop-like windows (one curved and recessed) all with small panes. 2 entrance doors with early C19 and flat hoods and have 2 flush panels above 4 raised-and-fielded panels. On the rear 2 linked extensions of 2 storeys with attics gabled in clay plain tiles, one a further extension of an earlier projection. The gables of these are of black weatherboarding. Large brick stack rises from junction of northernmost and main roof. INTERIOR: some late medieval framing exposed inside, probably an open hall house with formerly jettied cross wing to NW. This had central partition and doors in outer edges of partition as parlour/service combined. Eaves height raised in early C17 and large room part in No.14 and part in No.15 was given trabeated plaster ceiling with roses, fleurs-de-lys, circular pendants and foliage decorations. The north-western extension is contemporary and of two-and-a-half storey format and has similar ceiling. Southern flank wall has remnants of former 4-light window with mullion mortices composed of a circular hole and a small rectangular hole. Unpainted Chinese Chippendale dogleg staircase and some C17 panelling in both units. On the ground floor of No.14 is a reused C17 bressumer with quadrant profile and decorated with continuous foliage pattern. In centre is shield-like motif with date 1606 with intial 'S' superimposed and initials 'TE' below. Probably a former jetty bressumer.

Listing NGR: TM2605032604

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 366477

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing