CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1204074
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, BELL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204074 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 08:40:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, BELL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 61563 75983

Details

BRISTOL

ST6175 BELL HILL, Stapleton 901-1/33/1938 (South East side) 01/11/66 Church of Holy Trinity

GV II*

Church. 1857. By John Norton. Squared Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and slate roof. Aisled nave and west tower. Decorated Gothic Revival style. Tall E window to chancel with reticulated tracery, angle buttresses with gablets and carved mythical animals, and octagonal shafts to crocketed pinnacles. Hemi-hexagonal vestry with sprocketed roof to the N, 3-window range to the S. Weathered coped gable with Celtic cross. 5-bay aisles separated by buttresses; 3-light windows, carved corbel table and open traceried parapet. Steep porch in second bay from W end, with an open lancet doorway with cluster responds, C20 E doorway, stone benches and encaustic tiles. 3-stage tower with angle buttresses, splayed lancet W door with 3 orders and ball flowers, ogee hood with crockets and foliate finial and bishop's and king's head stops; 2-leaf door with traceried upper panels. 3-light first-floor windows, W clock with wooden hood on brackets, belfry lights with open tracery, corbel table and open traceried parapet, buttress pinnacles and gargoyles; stair tower in the corner with N aisle. Crocketed hexagonal broach spire with lucarnes and metal cross finial. INTERIOR: 3-bay chancel, open to the N organ chamber, with marble cluster columns and painted foliate capitals; alabaster reredos and marble floor; arched roof with moulded panels and angel corbels. 5-bay nave has piers with attached shafts and moulded capitals and hoods with foliate stops; moulded sill band beneath the aisle windows; arch-braced roof with wall posts to carved corbels in the nave, and cross-braced aisle roofs. W arch to narthex. FITTINGS: 3 rows of choir stalls in chancel with angel and poppy heads. Stone pulpit with ramped, curved steps. Alabaster font on brown marble shafts decorated with ogee arches and angels. Glass: S chancel window by Kempe 1887. The church commands a strong position and is considered one of the City's best Victorian churches. Norton was an influential local Ecclesiological architect, several of whose churches have been demolished. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 304; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 20).

Listing NGR: ST6156375983

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378941
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crick, C , Victorian Buildings in Bristol, (1975), 20
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 304

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16568/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]g.uk.