ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204342
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1972
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, AMWELL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204342 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 03:32:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, AMWELL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31284 82606

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3182NW AMWELL STREET 635-1/68/39 (West side) 29/09/72 Roman Catholic Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

GV II

Formerly known as: Northampton Tabernacle. Formerly known as: Rosoman Street Mission. Non-conformist chapel, now Roman Catholic church. 1835. By John Blyth for Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion. Gold stock bricks set in English bond with stucco ground-floor, dressings and rusticated quoins; roof obscured by high stucco cornice. Rectangular plan with symmetrical facade to Amwell Street; forms part of contemporary terrace. Neo-classical style. Two storeys; 3-window range with projecting central bay. Steps rise to 3 ground-floor deeply-recessed entrances, all architraved and keystoned with pairs of panelled C20 doors. Ground-floor central bay of grander proportions and composed of blind Ionic irregular tetrastyle pilastrade. Freize above main entrance faintly inscribed 'NORTHAMPTON TABERNACLE '. Door to centre flanked by 16-paned fixed sashes; outer bays with 18-paned rectangular overlights to doors. 1st floor stucco storey band with corbels to outer bays; central bay storey division articulated by cornice of ground-floor tetrastyle. Large architraved Venetian window to central bay with irregular multi-paned glazing, a high keystone and balustraded base; flanking round-arched sashes to outer bays of similar design with balustraded bases. Stucco cornice and parapet with heightened blocking course to centre inscribed 'ERECTED 1835.' INTERIOR: Plain Neo-classical interior, but partially remodeled C20. Original full-height blind arcading carried on Corinthian pilasters to 'ritual' East end. Plain plaster side walls with C19 dado; modillioned cornice, original flat ceiling with square coffering, gilded rosettes and 3 elaborately patterned cast iron ceiling roses to centre. Fine C19 gallery to rear and sides of chapel supported on slender cast-iron Ionic columns and balustraded with cast-iron panels of gilded Gothic-style tracery. Limited fenestration to side-walls. Shallow vestibule created by c1972 glazed partition gives access to rear of chapel and to flanking gallery staircases. History: Built as Northampton Tabernacle for Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion; from 1847 leased to Roman Catholics. Also formerly known as Rosoman Street Mission before it became the Roman Catholic Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. (Report prepared by Philip Temple for English Heritage: Islington Chapels: London: 1989-1989: 1-3/AMWELL STREET).

Listing NGR: TQ3128482606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
368525
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Temple, P, 'Survey of Nonconformist Churches and Chapels in Greater London' in Islington Chapels London, (1989)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04577/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].