NASH'S HOUSE (NEW PLACE MUSEUM)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1204376
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
NASH'S HOUSE (NEW PLACE MUSEUM), 22, CHAPEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NASH'S HOUSE (NEW PLACE MUSEUM)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204376 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 01:36:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
NASH'S HOUSE (NEW PLACE MUSEUM), 22, CHAPEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Stratford-upon-Avon
National Grid Reference:
SP 20092 54771

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW CHAPEL STREET 604-1/10/38 (South East side) 25/10/51 No.22 Nash's House (New Place Museum) (Formerly Listed as: CHAPEL STREET (South East side) New Place Museum (Shakespeare Birthplace Trust))

GV I

Town house now museum. c1600 front rebuilt in 1912. Timber-frame with plaster and brick infill on rubble plinth; tile roofs with rubble and brick stacks. 2 storeys with attic; 2-window range. 1st and 2nd floors jettied. Entrance to left of centre has plank door. Windows have ovolo mullions and leaded glazing; those to ground floor are transomed, of 3 and 5 lights; those to 1st floor of 5 lights, those to 2nd floor of 3 lights in gables. Close-studded framing. Right return has square framing, with brick infill to gable. Rear wing with rubble stack to rear of front range with diagonal brick shafts, brick infill to square framing and early C20 windows including canted bay window with hipped roof, brick stack; lower rear addition and single-storey end scullery. INTERIOR: original timber-framing and chamfered beams; fireplaces have stop-chamfered timber bressumer, one ex-situ fireplace has ashlar Tudor arch; open-well stair has spiral-on-vase balusters, cross-mullioned window to landing has stained glass panels; C17 door to scullery which has fireplace and bread oven; attic has 2-panel doors. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was owned by Thomas Nash from c1630 and was probably the home of his widow, Elizabeth, nee Hall, Shakespeare's grand-daughter, from 1647; from 1884 it was vested in the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust and is now a museum. The grounds are of marked interest and contain foundations of New Place, Shakespeare's last home, and the famous Knott garden. The Shakespeare Monument (qv) is in the Great Garden of New Place to the rear in Chapel Lane. (Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 21; History of the Streets of Stratford-upon-Avon: Bearman R et al: Chapel Street: 1971-1974).

Listing NGR: SP2009954768

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
366182
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 21
Bearman, R et al, History of the Streets of Stratford upon Avon, (1971-1974)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 42 Warwickshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14282/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].