TRINITY COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204635

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Apr-1994

Statutory Address: TRINITY COLLEGE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRINITY COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204635 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 03:54:20.

Location

Statutory Address: TRINITY COLLEGE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

National Grid Reference: SP 19942 54612

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP1954NE CHURCH STREET 604-1/9/57 (West side) 25/10/51 Trinity College (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET (West side) Trinity College School)

GV II

House, school 1872-1908, now flats. c1720; top floor and porch added 1872. For Thomas Rawlins. Brick with ashlar dressings; hipped slate with brick rear stacks. Double-depth plan. Georgian style. 3 storeys; symmetrical 9-window range. Plain ashlar plinth and narrow band over 1st floor, rusticated pilasters to ends and flanking 3-window pedimented centre, and top cornice. Porch with brick pilasters and ashlar entablature with inscription: COLLEGIUM SANCTAE ET/ INDIVIDUAE TRINITATIS/ AD MDCCCLXXII; round-headed entrance with archivolt and paired half-glazed doors, small return lights and 8-fielded-panel inner door. Windows have sills and brick aprons, those to ground and 1st floors with rubbed brick flat arches and keys over 12-pane sashes, central 1st-floor window with shouldered and eared architrave and key; 2nd-floor windows have ashlar lintels over 9-pane sashes, the aprons are a pre-1872 feature. Pediment has brick tympanum with ashlar plaque recording founding of Trinity College. Left return similar, with 2-storey canted bay window; rear has gabled wing to left of pedimented wing. INTERIOR: hall has exposed timber-framing to left; open-well staircase to rear left has cut string with moulded tread ends, column-on-vase balusters, moulded ramped handrail, panelled newel to foot and fielded-panel dado; dogleg stair to rear right has moulded string and handrail, turned balusters and square newels with ball finials; some 1st-floor rooms noted as having fielded panelling. HISTORICAL NOTE: Trinity College was founded by the vicar, Dr JD Collis, in 1872 and closed in 1904 after which it was used as an army school until 1908; Marie Corelli of Mason Croft (qv) converted the dining room into a music room in 1907. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-: 419; Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 26-7).

Listing NGR: SP1994254612

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 366206

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 26-7
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 419

End of official listing