HEMBURY FORT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204660
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Jan-1989
Statutory Address:
HEMBURY FORT HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HEMBURY FORT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204660 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 20:49:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
HEMBURY FORT HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Buckerell
National Grid Reference:
ST 11565 02455

Details

BUCKERELL SY 10 SW

5/93 Hembury Fort House 22.2.55 (formerly listed as Hembury Fort Hotel) II

Gentleman's villa, now in use as a retirement home. Early C19 possibly with an C18 core with C20 alterations including recent window replacement. Rendered, the central block whitewashed; slate roof behind parapets; rendered stacks. Plan: Approximate L plan. South-facing main block, the centre portion of which may be C18, with projecting pedimented bays to left and right, rear right wing. Central front door leads into a large heated entrance hall, principal stair to rear left, service stair in what was presumably the service wing to rear right. Exterior: 3 storey main block. Symmetrical 1:3:1 window south front, the centre 3 bays with 2 platbands and a moulded cornice below the parapet, the outer bays projecting with pediments. Central Greek Doric portico, probably circa 1830, with paired columns, a triglyph frieze and moulded cornice. The portico has been filled in with a round-headed 2-leaf panelled outer door. On either side of the porch C19 French windows with small panes and proud architraves. The pedimented blocks each have large early C19 French windows with fanlights with spoke glazing bars and glazed flanking panels. Unfortunately all the other windows are plastic replacements but probably in their original embrasures. The centre 3 bays presumably had 3/6 pane sashes to the second floor and 12-pane sashes to the first floor, all now replaced with small pane plastic windows. The outer bays presumably had tripartite first floor sashes and 3/3 pane second floor sashes, all now replaced with small-pane plastic windows. The left (west) return is 4-bays and 1 bay to the return of the pedimented projection. All the windows and 2 ground floor doors are plastic replacements, the windows probably in their original embrasures. The right return and rear elevation retain some original timber windows but most have been replaced with plastic. Interior: Not thoroughly inspected. Good early C19 cantilevered principal stair with stick balusters and a ramped wreathed handrail. Other features of interest, including decorated plasterwork, may survive. Polwhele records that the house - the eighteenth-century parts - is brick and was purchased by Vice Admiral Graves about 1750. He repaired and enlarged it: it was originally called Cockenhayes. (History of Devonshire, (p.p. 1793, 1974 edn., vol. II. p. 274).

Listing NGR: ST1156502455

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
87096
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Polwhele, R, History of Devonshire, (1974), 274

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14307/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Withey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].