THE RADCLIFFE CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204663
Date first listed:
26-Jul-1978
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Nov-1994
Statutory Address:
THE RADCLIFFE CENTRE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RADCLIFFE CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204663 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 21:32:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE RADCLIFFE CENTRE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)
Parish:
Buckingham
National Grid Reference:
SP 69416 33702

Details

BUCKINGHAM

SP6933 CHURCH STREET 879-1/6/59 (North side) 26/07/78 The Radcliffe Centre (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET (North side) United Reform Church and Sunday School)

GV II

Nonconformist church and Sunday school, now lecture hall classrooms and dwellings. Built 1857. By Foster and Wood of Bristol. Enlarged 1876-9 with addition of classroom range, converted 1982. Squared Cosgrove limestone rubble with Bath stone dressings and slate roofs. PLAN: rectangular, part-aisled church with porch to front, flanked by stair turrets and attached classroom range of irregular plan to right side. EXTERIOR: Early English style. Central tall gabled porch with double-leaf doors, many-moulded doorway with 1 order of shafts and hoodmould with labels, triple niche above with colonnettes and datestone to head of gable, which is stone-coped with kneelers; 4-light windows either side with cusped heads on colonnettes and off-set gabled buttresses either side of front. Principal chapel window above and partly behind porch gable consisting of group of 3 lancets with 2 orders of shafts and Geometrical tracery to heads. Taller central lancet is wider and has 3 trefoils to head above cusping, those either side having 1 trefoil to head above trefoil-headed lights; hoodmould with label stops. Blank arcading below window, offset gabled buttresses either side, small chamfered trefoil windows flanking head of central lancet and trefoil window to gable head with double-chamfered surround. Stone-coped gable with kneelers to steeply pitched roof. Front is flanked by 2-storey stair turrets giving access to gallery and 1st floor of classroom range. That to left has double roll-moulded doorway, that to right has double-chamfered doorway both with hoodmoulds, and polygonal upper storeys with 1-light windows and corbel tables to steeply pitched roofs. 1 and 2-storied classroom range has picturesque composition stepping down St Rumbold's Lane to right with canted stone bay surmounted by dormer behind stair turret, gabled porch, stone lateral stack, large stone mullion and transom windows with cusped heads to lights and terminal cross wing at lowest level. INTERIOR: hammer-beam roof. Deep gallery at entrance end, 4-bay arcade to aisle on left side, 2-bay arcade to short aisle on right side, both with circular piers on octagonal bases with moulded capitals. Organ of 1799 with mahogany case in Gothick style. Wall monument of white marble on slate ground to Rev Enoch Barling minister 1818-32 with acanthus brackets to tablet which is topped by urn with flame finial; removed from 'The Old Meeting House' after the union of the two congregations in 1850. Wall monument of white marble on slate ground to Stephen Webb, Deacon, who died in 1852 with extract from funeral sermon to inscription. Formerly a Congregational church. Converted by the University of Buckingham and reopened 1982.

Listing NGR: SP6941333701

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
377159
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15298/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Alex Hazlewood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].