Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204699.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 13:12:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 08904 16172


WOOTTON HIGH STREET TA 01 NE (north side, off) 3/34 Church of Saint Andrew 6/11/67 GV I Parish church. C13 arcades. C14-15 tower. Restorations of 1851 included rebuilding new chancel and porch, chancel; top of tower rebuilt 1877; C20 restorations to north aisle. Much weathered ironstone ashlar tower with limestone ashlar parapet; ironstone and limestone ashlar to lower section of south aisle with squared chalk above; squared ironstone and chalk to north aisle with rusticated limestone ashlar to restored sections; limestone rubble, squared chalk and ironstone to porch; coursed limestone rubble to chancel and vestry. Limestone and ironstone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side. 3-stage tower: diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth, stair lighting slits to south-west angle, string courses between stages. First stage: restored pointed 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery. Second stage: square openings with pierced quatrefoils to south and west, clockface to south. Pointed belfry openings with pierced roundels over twin lancets. Restored string course with angle gargoyles, coped embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. Chamfered plinth and sill string course to nave and chancel. South aisle: restored square-headed 2-light trefoiled windows with hood-moulds and original headstops, single- light trefoiled east window and C19 pointed 2-light traceried west window with hood-moulds and re-used headstops. North aisle: restored pointed ovolo-chamfered door; 2 square-headed 2-light windows with restored tracery, pointed 3-light east window with restored intersecting tracery, original hood-mould and headstops, pointed 2-light west window with C19 tracery, hood-mould and original headstops. Chancel: angle buttresses; C19 2-light and restored 3-light traceried windows to south, restored pointed 2-light plate-traceried north window with pierced trefoil in roundel over pair of trefoiled lights, C19 pointed 3-light traceried east window. Porch: chamfered plinth, quoins; restored front with pointed chamfered arch with hood-mould and headstops; restored pointed ovolo-chamfered inner arch with hood-mould and headstops. Interior. Tall pointed double-chamfered tower arch with moulded base and inner order on plain moulded capitals, pointed chamfered door to tower staircase. Arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches (those to south very wide) on octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals and bases, those to south more ornate. C19 double-chamfered chancel arch on filleted responds, pointed arch to pulpit. Trefoiled piscina to south aisle, ogee-headed piscina to north aisle, pointed piscina to nave. Ornate C19 painted carved ashlar pulpit and traceried altar rails. Marble wall tablets in north aisle: to Francis Ellis of 1759, with pilasters, obelisk and winged cherub's head; to Uppleby family of late C18 - early C19 with carved draped urn, winged cherub's head and pediment surmounted by carved arms; to John Uppleby of 1839, with life-sized head profile in relief and pediment with painted arms; to Gifford family of early C19 with carved urn. C19 font and commandment boards at west end of nave. Disused medieval font with plain sub-rectangular bowl on chamfered column and plain base. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 430; drawing by C Nattes, 1794, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA0890316169


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 430


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16304/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Callan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].