TOWER TO CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1204853

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1987

Statutory Address: TOWER TO CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHAPEL GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER TO CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204853 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 01:29:11.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWER TO CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHAPEL GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland (District Authority)

Parish: Sutton St. James

National Grid Reference: TF 39625 18388

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUTTON ST. JAMES CHAPEL GATE TF 31 NE (north side) 6/94 Tower to church of St. James (formerly listed as part of church of St. James)

G.V. II*

Church tower. C15, restored 1879 and 1894. Ashlar, red brick, rubble, in the main rendered. Parapet with 2 gargoyles remaining to the south side. Diagonally buttressed, set on a moulded plinth and of 3 stages with bands. Stair turret to the south east. West side with re-set upper part of blocked moulded arched C15 doorway with rectangular hood mould, the spandrels decorated with blind tracery. Quatrefoil frieze each quatrefoil contanining a single shield alternating with stylised flower. Single C15 arched 3 light window over with panel tracery, all lights blocked apart from a portion of one which has a single lozenge lead glazing bar casement. Hood mould and worn label stops. Small rectangular light over. East side with basket arched doorway with plank door. Over is a single lozenge lead glazing bar casement with evidence of former nave roof line above. Over is a single quatrefoil set into a rectangle. South side with single similar quatrefoil. 4 C15 pointed segmental arched bell chamber openings each with 2 arched and cusped lights, the remains of some tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. South opening obscured by single clock face. Stair turret, terminating under the bell chamber stage, has a single rectangular opening, over is a single quatrefoil set into a lozenge with brick relieving arch. Above is a sundial, a single decorative cross arrow loop and finally a single small rectangular opening. The nave was destroyed during the Commonwealth.

Listing NGR: TF3962518388

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 197940

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing