ESPLANADE HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204858

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1951

Statutory Address: ESPLANADE HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 31 AND 32, KING'S QUAY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ESPLANADE HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204858 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 16:34:51.

Location

Statutory Address: ESPLANADE HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 31 AND 32, KING'S QUAY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Harwich

National Grid Reference: TM 26152 32525

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARWICH

TM2632NW KING'S QUAY STREET 609-1/2/78 (South West side) 25/09/51 Nos.31 AND 32 Esplanade House and attached railings

GV II

House with attached iron railings. 'newly built 1813'. Cream Gault bricks with Welsh slate gambrel roof, the upper part hipped on the SE end. 3 storeys with attics and cellars and with complex extension to rear. EXTERIOR: symmetrical front with continuous parapet and 2 full-height brick bows, each with painted timber entablature at each storey height. The bows each have 3 grouped double-hung sash windows with small panes on each floor, framed by painted timber pilasters and with stone sills. In the centre, the upper 2 floors each have a double-hung sash window with small panes and red rubbed brick arches with stone imposts. The central entrance has a semicircular red brick arched head on stone imposts, enclosing an Adamesque fanlight. 6-panel door with reeded panel mouldings and reeded pilasters and frieze. Flight of stone steps with cast-iron handrails and bootscrapers. Cellars are lit by double-hung sash windows into an area enclosed by spear-headed cast-iron railings of segmental plan form echoing the bows. One stack at NW end of ridgeline. INTERIOR: substantially unchanged plan form with central hall leading through semicircular-arched opening to the staircase placed at right-angles. This is a cantilevered, open-well stair with stick balusters and wreathed hardwood handrail. Service stairs in rear. All major rooms have reeded architraves and skirtings and simple plaster cornices. 2 curved doors with curved reeded architraves survive, perhaps remnants of an earlier unrealised scheme. Some rooms have semicircular-headed recesses and cupboards with reeded surrounds. All first-floor rooms have reeded door architraves with lions' heads at the intersections.

Listing NGR: TM2615232525

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 366554

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing