CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1205059

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205059 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 22:46:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Harwich

National Grid Reference: TM 23839 31102

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARWICH

TM2231SE MAIN ROAD, Dovercourt 609-1/5/170 (North side) 25/09/51 Church of All Saints

GV II*

Church. Medieval with C19 and C20 restoration including documented phase of 1897. Late C20 addition to north side of no special interest. MATERIALS: septaria with pebbledashed render; limestone ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs. PLAN: west tower square in plan with diagonal buttresses and stair turret to north-east. Unbuttressed nave with south porch and 3-bay chancel with off-set buttresses. EXTERIOR: late C14 three-stage tower, the embattled top stage rebuilt by 1867. 2-centred double-chamfered west door under a stopped hoodmould, stonework much renewed. 2-light double-chamfered west window has hoodmould with head stops, the southern one defaced and rendered over. Decorated tracery and window head renewed. Silence chamber has cusped light to west and south sides, the latter concealed by clock face. Square-headed externally splayed bellstage openings with timber tracery. Polygonal stair turret to north with 2 arched lights. Nave C12, refenestrated C14. To south wall from west, a deeply-splayed slit window unblocked 1958; a 2-light window renewed in Decorated style; a 2-light window to the east of the porch, of c1340 with curvilinear tracery in a double-chamfered surround with ovolo hoodmould with stops; to the east a square-headed, low level post-medieval window, partially renewed. To north wall of nave, 2 Y-tracery windows in chamfered surrounds, partially renewed, and a reopened C12 slit window to the west of the C14 north door. South porch rebuilt in red brick, probably in 1897, reusing the medieval responds and 2-centred ovolo-headed arch. C14 south door with ovolo arch and hoodmould, chamfered stoup adjoining. Large post-medieval buttress at junction of nave and chancel on south side. North and south chancel walls have lowside lancets and 2 Y-tracery windows with ovolo hoodmoulds. Stonework largely renewed. East wall with 3-light windows with curvilinear tracery said to be late C19 rebuild. Rendered C19/C20 priests' door to south. INTERIOR: 2-centred tower arch with polygonal capitals and high bases to responds and wave-moulded jambs, arch reused C19. Nave window rere arches largely medieval, some stone removal. C13 chamfered nave piscina. 4-centred lower door to rood stair on north. Section of C12 nookshaft apparently forming east jamb of round-arch opening with traces of carved decoration, incorporated into upper entrance of rood stair. 3-bay crown post nave roof of late C14 with arch-braced moulded tie beams. Tall octagonal crown posts with crown capitals braced to collar purlin; double collars at half-bay intervals. Moulded beam dated 1615 GW spanning chancel arch with vine scroll decoration and scrolled braces. Timber chancel arch of C19/C20. 3-bay crown post chancel roof ceiled in 7 cants; the octagonal posts appear medieval. FITTINGS: C19 benches throughout, set to rear of nave with poppyheads. C14 font with tracery patterns to octagonal bowl. Timber poor box dated 1589. C20 rood screen and pulpit; reredos 1915. C18 barleysugar altar rails. Credo and paternoster boards flank east window, surmounted by early C20 wall-paintings of angels bearing Instruments of the Passion. Black and white marble wall tablet of 1820 to the Whinfield family. Mid C15 brass mounted on north wall of chancel. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Domesday survey shows the manor belonged to Alberic de Vere, who appropriated the church to Colne Priory. (RCHME: Essex NE: London: 1922-: 86 (2); Whites Directory: 1863-: 527; Kelly's Directory: 1899-: 209; Hewett C A: Church Carpentry: 1982-: 103; Barnes R: Engraving of 1807: Mint Binder: 1807-).

Listing NGR: TM2383931102

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 366580

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922), 86
Hewett, C A , Church Carpentry A Study Based on Essex Examples, (1982), 103
'Whites Directory' in Essex, (1863), 527
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1899), 209

End of official listing