CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1205207

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205207 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 19:26:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 57054 68669

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5768 CHURCH ROAD, Bishopsworth 901-1/50/412 (West side) 04/03/77 Church of St Peter

GV II*

Church. 1842. By SC Fripp. Squared Lias rubble with limestone ashlar dressings and a slate roof. Apsidal chancel, crossing tower and aisled nave. Norman Revival style. Small, round-arched windows include a group of 3 in the E end above a torus string and beneath a similar hoodmoulding, and a weathered ovolo corbel table. Short, square chancel tower with a pyramidal roof and a round ashlar staircase tower at the NE corner with a beehive roof and a round-arched door at the bottom. Clocks on N and S sides of tower, over a blind arcade on the S side. The N aisle of 3 bays separated by pilasters, beneath a weathered corbel table and parapet. W porch has a coped gable end with 3-window range, and E-facing door with a semicircular arch, round responds with cushion capitals in a gabled entrance, and 2-leaf door with strap hinges. SE porch below the tower has a door with a shouldered lintel and single light; S elevation as the N. The W end is 5 bays, 1:3:1 separated by buttresses, with higher middle lights with beakhead stops to the hoods, and a small rose window flanked by blind single lights under the apex. Celtic cross finial. INTERIOR: stone Norman-style reredos and small piscina in the apse, which is separated from the single-bay chancel by a square section arch. Similar chancel arch, on carved Romanesque corbels; organ loft to the N. 5-bay nave arcade of round piers with semicircular pilaster strips on the sides, cushion capitals and semicircular arches, springing from a carved corbel at the chancel end and terminating in a respond in the W wall. Braced queen-post nave roof, and plain aisle trusses resting on the arcade pilaster strips. Fittings include a stone Norman-style font. A fine example of the Norman Revival of the 1840s, the style being carried through to a good interior. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 296; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 463).

Listing NGR: ST5705468669

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379165

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 463
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 463

End of official listing