MILLBANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1205216
Date first listed:
20-Jun-1972
Statutory Address:
MILLBANK, OAKLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILLBANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205216 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 15:39:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILLBANK, OAKLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Tendring (District Authority)
Parish:
Harwich
National Grid Reference:
TM 22567 30308

Details

HARWICH

TM23SW OAKLEY ROAD, Dovercourt 609-1/9/197 (North West side) 20/06/72 Millbank

II

House. Early and late C16. Timber-framed and rendered with gabled clay plain tile roofs, hipped on N corner. 2 storeys and of 'L' plan form with garage lean-to on SW end. EXTERIOR: projecting SE gable has imitation framing and a canted C20 oriel window on first floor over a canted flat-roofed bay window, both with casements. Plaster C20 date of 1661 over a flat-roofed porch. Main S elevation has C20 triangular plan oriel window over a C19 double-hung sash window with 3 vertical glazing bars. Late C16 brick stack with 3 diagonal shafts rises from NW corner. This is rebuilt at head, but original base has 2 canted brick corner gablets at springing of shafts. A mysterious plan arrangement seemingly the result of the incorporation of an early C16 structure into a later C16 complex. INTERIOR: the SW-NE block is the remains of a 'baffle entry' house of the late C16 probably of 2 bays plus a central stack bay. The SW bay is now missing with evidence of serious fire damage. The frame here has close studding, evidence or diamond mullioned windows, jowled posts and arch braces to tie beams. The roof has clasped side purlins. The contemporary stack has back-to-back wood-burning fireplaces and a 'solar' fireplace over. Mantel beam on 'hall' side is covered in inscribed protective lines and the initials FR WR 1668 and separate date 1661. Remains of door opening at flank of stack and old rebated board partition between 'hall' and older wing. This is of 3 two-storey bays with mixture of jowled and unjowled posts and arch-braced crown post roof. Remains of diamond mullioned windows, heavy arch braces to tie beams and external wall bracing. At junction with late C16 block is wide opening with arch braces to wall plate, to achieve one large L-shaped first floor room. Angle tie at roof plate level on NE corner. Former partition on ground floor has been moved and shows evidence for further door opening. Probably this was a non-residential building, as first built. (RCHME: Essex NE: London: 1922-: 86 (6)).

Listing NGR: TM2256730308

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
366611
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922), 86

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08270/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].