CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205243 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 02:43:24.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 33397 74804
TETFORD CHURCH LANE
TF 37 SW (south side)
9/40 14.9.66 Church of St.Mary
Parish church. Early C12, C14, late C15, heavily restored in 1826 and later C19. Green sandstone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, clerestorey and south porch, and chancel. 3 stage west tower of c.1500 with 6 stage angle buttresses, moulded plinth and string course. Pointed west doorway with double bowtell continuous surround, hood mould and plank door. Moulded string course above with pointed window above that, with bowtell moulded surround, 3 pointed cusped lights, perpendicular tracery and hood mould that runs into a string course on either side. Clock and moulded string course above. Bell openings on all 4 sides each with a pointed head, bowtell moulded surround, 2 cusped, ogee headed lights and hood mould. Moulded eaves with large corner gargoyles. Decorative open-work parapet with corner pinnacles. North aisle rebuilt 1826 with pointed west doorway with ashlar surround and panelled door. North side with 3 pointed windows with Y tracery. Clerestorey of c.1500 restored in C19 with 3 windows with flattened triangular heads with 3 almost round headed, cusped lights and bowtell moulded surrounds. North side of chancel with part of the outline of a C12 archway which originally lead to the chantry chapel of St. Bartholomew, with semi-circular head and single impost. Blocked rectangular C14 window set inside with hood mould. 2 stage buttress to left. East end of chancel with pointed C19 window with 3 cusped, ogee headed and pointed lights, 3 oculi and hood mould. 4 C18 gravestones beneath. South side of chancel with single C19 window with pointed head, 2 cusped ogee headed lights and cusped mouchette. South aisle of nave with early C14 window restored in C19, with pointed head, 2 cusped, ogee headed lights with quatrefoil. South side with window of c.1500 with flattened triangular head, 3 cusped ogee headed lights and perpendicular tracery. Gabled C15 porch to west, heavily restored in C19 with pointed south doorway with continuous chamfered surround. Sundial above. Porch interior with flanking stone benches. Internal pointed doorway of c.1500 with continuously moulded surround, hood mould and C16 plank door restored in C19. Stoup in north-east corner. C15 rectangular window to west of porch with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, set in triangular headed opening. West end of south aisle with pointed window with inner C14 window with crocketed and finialled head and large label stops. Clerestorey of c.1500 restored in C19 with 3 windows each with flattened triangular head with 3 almost round headed, cusped lights and bowtell moulded surround. Interior C14 tower arch with pointed, double chamfered head dying into the wall. C20 screen below. Nave roof line above predating addition of clerestorey. Mid C14 north and south 3 bay tall arcades restored in C19 with double chamfered pointed heads, the inner order of limestone, the outer of green sandstone; octagonal piers, C12 semi-circular moulded bases, C14 octagonal capitals and responds. Unusual fluted indentations in west spandrel of north aisle. Mid C14 chancel arch heavily restored in C19, with pointed, double chamfered head, the inner order of limestone, running continuously into the responds. C19 panelled ceiling over nave and tie beam roof over chancel. C19 pews, pulpit, chairs, lectern and vestry screen. Altar rail of c.1730 with turned balusters with square knops and broad rail. Plaque in north aisle inscribed with restoration date of 1826. C14 octagonal font with foliate motifs on lower side and with C20 pedestal of 8 shafts. Memorials include: one to Edward Dymoke, died 1739, of black marble with seprentine head and coat of armour above. 3 memorials in black marble to Elizabeth Scaman, died 1839, Thomas Dymoke, died 1837 and the Rev. John Dymoke, died 1821, all with serpentine heads and aprons; a black and white monument with sepulchre and urns, to Rev. John Emeris, died 1819; a black marble monument to Elizabeth Probart, died 1830 and a grey and white marble monument to Charles Thorpe, died 1845.
Listing NGR: TF3339774804
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing