This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

EPIPHANY HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EPIPHANY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1205448

Location

EPIPHANY HOUSE, KENWYN CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Truro

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jul-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 377411

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/04/2014

SW8245 880-1/3/94

TRURO, KENWYN CHURCH ROAD, Epiphany House

(Formerly listed as Copeland Court.

Previously Listed as: Copeland Court (Truro Cathedral School), KENWYN)

29/12/50

II

Formerly known as: Lis Escop KENWYN.

Rectory and chapel, later home of The Community of the Epiphany and Truro Cathedral School until 2001. Since 2003 it has been used as a conference centre and Christian retreat. C18 on older site extended and remodelled in 1878 for Bishop Benson; chapel added c1906 by Edmund Sedding for Bishop Stubbs. Freestone ashlar, roughcast with freestone dressings (front), otherwise roughly coursed local rubble with granite and brick dressings; dry Delabole slate roofs with hipped ends to front range with hipped roof dormers, otherwise gable ends, coped gable to south-west wing; brick axial stacks and 2 gabled stone lateral stacks to rear. Large irregular plan with remains of double-depth C18 house on the left, otherwise C19 and early C20 extensions. 2 storeys plus attics; overall 6-window-range front. Remodelled 3-window front of C18 house on left of projecting gable end of 1906 chapel and 2-window front of late C19 extension on the right, which, with left-hand return, have early C19 hornless 12-pane sashes and late C19 wooden modillions to moulded eaves cornice. Ground floor has 3 Palladian windows: to study bay (far left) linked to 3-bay Tuscan colonnade of loggia; to right set back in loggia and to right of chapel. On left within loggia is principal round-arched and pedimented doorway with spoked fanlight over pair of 3-panel doors; other doorway to far right has overlight with glazing bars over panelled door. Chapel coped gable end has semi-circular broken scrolled pediment containing niche with small triangular pediment over, supported on three-quarter columns on consoles flanking 3-light round-arched window. Ground floor has large bowed 3-light window with small-paned sashes. In angle left of chapel is an octagonal stair turret surmounted by round-arched cupola with bell-shaped copper roof. 4-window-range south front is original C18 ashlar with flat arches over early C19 sashes to first floor, otherwise late C19 horned sashes including Palladian window to flat-roofed study extension on the right. At far left is projecting Gothic-style gable end of late C19 wing with granite canted oriel window to first floor, otherwise mullioned windows with hoodmoulds and 4-centred-arched lights. Rear stair projection has large 4-light granite mullioned window with double transom. Rear of chapel has freestone lunette with mutules over dentils. INTERIOR: late C18 or early C19 open-well stair with moulded plinths to stick balusters, possible C18 plaster ceiling cornice above, otherwise late C19 carpentry, joinery and plasterwork with moulded and carved cornices to principal rooms. Stair hall to right of chapel has early C20 open-well stair with triple rectangular balusters and moulded handrail. 1906 chapel has stone coffered barrel vault and exposed stone walls. Fittings are from former convent, now Alverton Manor Hotel (qv) and include alabaster reredos, stalls by Ninian Comper and a large carved crucifix originally from Oberammergau. History: In 1781 John Wesley, who was a friend of the vicar, Richard Milles, stayed here. The house was formerly named Copeland Court in order to acknowledge a generous gift made by the Copeland family.(Ana C E, Sister: A History of Copeland Court).



Listing NGR: SW8211945880

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ana, C E, A History of Copeland Court

National Grid Reference: SW 82119 45880

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205448 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 01:32:14.

End of official listing