Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205594.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2021 at 11:30:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
Chard Town
National Grid Reference:


ST3208 756-1/4/68 24/03/50


FORE STREET (North side) Chard School


House, now school. Dated 1583. Squared flint on a limestone plinth with Ham Hill stone dressings, plain tile roof and brick stacks. L-plan with rear left wing: 3-room front range with service room to left wing and parlour to right and porch to central door opposite door to stairs; rear kitchen wing has stair and lobby to left. 2 storeys with attics; 5-window range. All windows have cavetto-moulded stone mullions, labelled hoodmoulds and C20 leaded lights; moulded sill courses run under ground-floor and first-floor windows and round central, square, projecting porch of 3 storeys: this has gables to front and sides over 3-light windows on second-floor and 4-light to front and 2-light to sides of first-floor. First and second floors of the main facade have 4-light windows to far right and left and 6-lights flanking porch. Rear elevation has keyed semi-circular stair light. Rear left wing has similar, mullioned windows to right and rendered C19 extension with C20 fenestration. INTERIOR: ground-floor room to right has mid C19 Gothic-style shutters, marble fireplace, enriched cornice and ceiling rose. Hall to centre has fine moulded transverse beams. Room to left has C17 cornicing and Tudor-arched doorway with sunk spandrels; reset late C16 panelling to rear lateral passage. Rear wing has mid C19 cast-iron kitchen range inserted into late C16 fireplace with hollow-moulded jambs and sunk spandrels; wide newel staircase adjoining to left. First-floor rooms have similar fireplaces and central plank and muntin partition with blocked door to rear lateral stairs and passage partition; lobby at head of newel stairs to left is divided from rooms to front left and rear wing (over kitchen) by similar plank and muntin partitions with front partition having pair of related arched architraves, one with late C16 plank door to stair lobby and rear left closet; similar fireplace to rear window. Attic: plastered collar trusses to front roof; 2 cambered collars, with threaded purlins. Mid/late C18 staircase provided access to Monmouth House (qv). A complete and fine quality interior with an advanced plan form for its date, notable for its passage access to main rooms. HISTORY: rainwater head dated 1583. Built as a private residence for William Symes of Poundsford in Somerset. In 1671 he conveyed the property to 12 trustees so that it should be converted into a grammar school with residence for the master. It was damaged by fire in 1727. (Pevsner N: Buildings of England: South Somerset: London: 1958-: P.118).

Listing NGR: ST3247308660


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958), 118


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00035/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Bland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.