CHURCH OF ST GLUVIAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GLUVIAS, CHURCH HILL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205597 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 12:29:44.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GLUVIAS, CHURCH HILL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SW 78738 34662
SW7834NE CHURCH HILL 580-1/4/42 (East side) 28/01/49 Church of St Gluvias
Parish church. C15 west tower, otherwise much rebuilt and remodelled in 1883 by Piers St Aubyn. Granite ashlar, coursed dressed granite and granite rubble with freestone dressings; dry Delabole slate roofs with crested ridge tiles. Tower is coursed local rubble with granite and freestone dressings. Plan: C15 west tower with NW stair turret, north wall, east ends of north and south aisles; otherwise 1883 navel chancel, south wall and later south porch plus vestry extensions flanking tower. Perpendicular 3-stage embattled tower with angle buttresses and stair turret to NW corner; C15 pointed granite doorway with C19 planked door and strap hinges; C19 freestone 3-light traceried window over doorway and C15 two-light windows to upper stage of tower; strings dividing stages. North wall is 6 bays with buttresses dividing bays with C19 three-light traceried windows in C15 openings; C15 pointed arched moulded freestone doorway with square hoodmould with carved stops and quatrefoils to spandrels; many inscriptions and to other parts of north wall. Similar west window and taller 3-light projecting gabled windows to east ends of aisles flanking projecting chancel with large 3-light E window. South wall has porch to far left with pointed doorway with quatrefoils to spandrels and 5 bays with windows similar to those of W wall; 2 buttresses and round-headed priests doorway between right-hand windows. INTERIOR: C19 six-bay pointed-arched freestone arcades between nave and aisles, plastered or painted walls; C19 waggon roofs, the choir/chancel roof incorporating C15 carved ribs from former roof. East wall of N aisle has 2 niches, each with arcade of 3 pointed arches and pair of round-arched niches (possibly a very early feature resited or evidence that this wall is part of a very early structure). Other early fragments include C15 piscina in porch and pointed-arched aumbry to east end of south aisle. FITTINGS: C19 fittings include: octagonal freestone font, with quatrefoils, on granite base; octagonal oak pulpit on moulded freestone base; organ loft on 4 Tuscan columns to west end of S aisle; sedilia on 3 brackets to chancel; pitch pine pews with shaped ends, one pew with carved oak end inscribed: "This church restored AD 1882-3, Michael Jenkin Lavin, Mayor"; floor of reset slate headstones; brass lectern with eagle; 1841 painted boards recording bequests and benefactions of Richard Ludgie 1722-1733 and 1735, John Verran 1758 and Thomas Lukey 1612. MONUMENTS: many fine quality monuments including brass and slate to Thomas Killigrew 1484 with husband and wife, missing brass, probably sons, 6 daughters and shields. Large plaster and slate monument in 4 parts flanking and within jambs of east window of south aisle; east part as an aedicule framed by Ionic columns and surmounted by family crests, the 2 on right with original scrolled brackets with cherubs; left-hand panel to Samuel Pendarves of Roscrow d.1643, over extra panel to William, son of John and Bridget Pendarves; next panel to Grace, wife of Samuell Pendarves, d.1662 over later panel to Walter, son of John and Bridget, d.1663; next panel to William, also of Roscrow, d.1670 and last panel to Ann, his wife, d.1643. South wall: plaster aedicule with broken pediment and marble shelf on bracket with lion's head flanking cherub to Samuel Ennys of Ennys (now Enys, St Gluvias CP) 1611-1697 and Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Samuel Pendarves of Roscrow, 1618-1705; marble and slate obelisk to Thomas Enys of Enys, d.1802 aged 30. North wall: slate aedicule with wigged bust and drapes between Corinthian columns to J Kempe, d.1711; marble cartouche with skull at bottom to John Collier Clerk d.1691 aged 3; and similar cartouche to William Worth d.1689 aged 55. MEMORIAL FITTINGS: large French mosaic reredos depicting saints as memorial to Archbishop Philpotts. MEMORIAL WINDOWS: E window of N aisle to Lilian Mary Plaice and Frederick Dennis Bruce, Vicar 1915-1927; E window of chancel to Louisa Philpotts d.1871; also E window of S aisle. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: 1951-1970: 177).
Listing NGR: SW7873834662
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, (1951), 177
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970), 177
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.