CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1205605
Date first listed:
09-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205605 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 01:23:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wimbotsham
National Grid Reference:
TF 62237 04892

Details

TF 60 SW WIMBOTSHAM CHURCH STREET

5/24 Church of St Mary 9/7/51 - II*

Parish church. C12, some late C13 work, tower documented 1500, bells hung 1525, chancel demolished and rebuilt with apse 1853-54 when whole church restored. Carstone with ashlar quoins and slate roofs, corrugated tiles to south nave. 3 stage west tower with diagonal buttresses interrupted to east by nave. Stair turret at south-west corner to ringing chamber. 3-light 2- centred depressed arch west window. Lancet to ringing chamber and plain 2- light belfry openings under squared hood. Nave walls raised 1854. South nave with 4 windows : 2 restored trefoil lancets; one restored 3-light mid C14 reticulated; one late C13 2-light plate tracery window of 2 pointed lights supporting quatrefoil. Chancel with 3 side lancets to south but one in north to facilitate lean-to vestry with similar fenestration. Corbel tables re-used C12 work. 3 bay apse of similar design with C19 corbel table. North nave with 2 or 3-light renewed Perpendicular windows. Gabled north porch with angle buttresses. South and north doors late C12. South: 2 orders of shafts, one circular with cable decoration, the other octagonal with chevrons; incised scalloped capitals support roll moulded square imposts and multiple arch with cable, zig-zag and double billet decoration. North of one order of columns below cushion capitals, square door imposts and arch decorated with roll, double billet and cable motifs. Interior. Tall tower arch with hollow and straight chamfers. Panelled scissor braced nave roof. Variety of poppy head benches with figurative or animal arm rests carved by James Rattee in 1854. Renewed C19 angle piscina on south nave wall with stiff leaf beside bench sedilia. C12 chancel arch : semi-circular arch with double roll moulding. 2 orders of columns west and one east, all with cushion capitals. Apse stone vaulted with elaborate window spays utilising marble colmns. Apse arch with chevron and beakhead decoration.

Listing NGR: TF6223704892

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221470
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/04959/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].