GROVE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH REAR BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1205631

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1978

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1993

Statutory Address: GROVE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH REAR BOUNDARY WALL, GROVE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROVE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH REAR BOUNDARY WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 01:15:38.

Location

Statutory Address: GROVE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH REAR BOUNDARY WALL, GROVE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)

Parish: Portland

National Grid Reference: SY 69954 72555

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PORTLAND

SY67SE GROVE ROAD, Grove 969-1/1/137 (North East side) 21/09/78 Grove County Primary School with rear boundary wall (Formerly Listed as: GROVE ROAD, Grove (North East side) Grove County Infant School)

GV II*

School. Opened September 2nd 1872. Probably from the office of Capt. Edmund du Cane, RE, designer of St. Peter's Church (qv). Portland ashlar, slate roofs. A richly detailed and confidently handled Romanesque Revival building with a cruciform plan. Lofty 2-storey gabled units to N,E and W, and a lower single-storey hall unit to the S (right). A boys' entrance to the left and girls' to the right gave access to a long, narrow, full-depth hall on two floors, with the infants' hall to the right. In the re-entrant angles are single-storey units, with a further extension of 1898 to the left, partly rebuilt in the late C20. Exterior has round-arched windows set to single or paired shafts and responds; in the high gables are paired lights under an oculus with a sunk panel within the containing arch. Steeply-pitched roofs have coped gables, and small-scale Lombard bands at the eaves, concealing ventilation openings to the halls. One large and 2 smaller heavily modelled eaves stacks. A complex fenestration includes groups of 3 lights to an outer shafted screen under the 3 main gables, and 3 paired lights similarly to the lower hall. The lean-to entrance lobby has 4 simpler arched windows. Deep glacis-like sloping cills, various string and lintel bands. To the left of main gable to street is a plank door in arched entry; the corresponding entry to the right is now (1991) blocked. Interior: a stone open-well cantilevered stair in the left-hand lobby gives access to the boys' hall at first floor; simply detailed, with iron handrail and alternate twisted iron balusters. Upper hall has a 5-bay arch-braced roof, lower hall has moulded cornice. Off the left-hand side of each hall is a large classroom in the N wing, and to the right at ground floor the long former infants' hall. This has a series of sealed ventilators at eaves level each side, and a large classroom opens off to the left. Subsidiary Features: a lofty stone wall divides the playground at the rear of the building, and there are substantial remains of the former privy blocks set back against the outer boundary wall. The boundary walls to The Grove (qv) are also important to the setting of the School. The School log books and punishment book are retained, also an architect's development drawing (unsigned) in pencil, dated 22/06/63. This is a precious document, which shows an earlier version of the building with 3 lofty dormers to the infants' wing. The log book records for September 2nd 1872 include: "This day we opened the new School, 71 in attendance. Addresses were made ..... Rev. G. Taylor exhorting the boys to perseverance, diligence, and to careful attention to the School's ordinary work ....." Edward W. Moore was at that time the Master. The building is a very lively and carefully articulated design, little altered within, and, with the supporting documents, an important survival of C19 social history. It forms part of a major group of buildings - developed as a result of the establishment of the prison here (established 1848) - comprising Church, Vicarage, School House, School, and Alma Terrace (qqv).

Listing NGR: SY6995472555

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 381958

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing