CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1205669

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205669 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 14:35:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 46549 41739

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF ILKESTON MARKET PLACE SK 4641 NW 7/50 (East Side) 26.9.63 Church of St Mary GV II*

Parish church. Early C13, C14, extensively restored in 1853-5 by T L Walker, the west end enlarged and rebuilt in 1909-10 by PH Currey. Sandstone ashlar, plain tile roofs with moulded coped gables. West tower, aisled nave and chancel with north chapel and south vestries. West tower of three stages, divided by chamfered stringcourses. Clasping buttresses. Ground stage partly engaged by the aisles. West doorway with moulded surround and one order of columns with elaborate foliage capitals and head corbels. Plank doors with elaborate iron hinges. Pair of lancets above with colonnettes, carved capitals and hoodmould, continued as a stringcourse. The second stage has to north, south and west, a small lancet and a clock face above. Bell stage has on each side bell openings of two lancet lights with a quatrefoil over, within a single arch with colonnettes. Trefoil corbel table, panelled parapet with eight pinnacles. The battlemented lean-to aisles have 4-light west windows with intersecting tracery with trefoil and quatrefoil motifs. The north aisle has six buttresses and six 3-light windows with cusped intersecting tracery of slightly varied design. Gabled north east chapel partly engaged by the north aisle. To the west is a gabled porch with a doorway of two orders of colonnettes. Double doors with elaborate iron hinges. Rose window above of six trefoils in circles. To the north it has three 3-light windows with cusped intersecting tracery. 4-light east window with cusped intersecting tracery and a cusped quatrefoil in a circle. The chapel has moulded eaves cornice and decorative ridge tiles. Impressive chancel east window of 5-lights with a wheel set in a spherical triangle over cusped and shafted lancets. Flanked by deep gableted buttresses. South east vestries, triple gabled to south, the middle gable smaller. Rebuilt as a World War One memorial. Windows mostly with intersecting tracery. The south aisle has five 3-light windows with buttresses between, as on the north side but with more varied tracery. The westernmost window has been removed and a C20 range attached to south, not of special interest. Interior: low tower arch with semi-circular responds and dogtooth ornament. Internal 2-light window above with quatrefoil over. Lofty six bay arcades. The easternmost part has early C13 circular piers with capitals of small upright leaves. These piers were raised in the C14. Chevron moulded pointed arches. Three west bays have octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. Moulded chancel arch on foliage corbels. Rich late C14 three-bay north chapel arcade with finely moulded arches. Triple sedilia and double piscina of c1280. Double chamfered doorway to vestry and an internal 3-light window above with cusped intersecting tracery. Unusual early C14 stone rood screen with 1-light divisions with a cusped ogee arch and large quatrefoil in each spandrel. Monument between the chancel and the north chapel. Late C13 effigy of a cross-legged knight set on a tomb chest. C19 hexagonal stone pulpit on a circular base. C19 octagonal font. Plain chamfered tomb recess in the north aisle. Gothic organ case of 1889. Stained glass: east window of 1910, probably by Burlison & Grylls. North aisle, third window from the east, 1914 by Jones & Willis.

Listing NGR: SK4654941739

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352253

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/14239

End of official listing