- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HURSTWOOD HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205736 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 12:13:02.
- Statutory Address:
- HURSTWOOD HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Burnley (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 88120 31340
SD 83 SE WORSTHORNE WITH HURSTWOOD
3/47 Hurstwood Hall
Lesser-gentry hall-house, subsequently farmhouse, now house. Dated 1579 over doorway on north side; altered. Coursed squared sandstone (without quoins), stone slate roof on 2 levels. L-shaped plan, facing south: hall range with short rear wing, projecting crosswing at west end, axial wing at east end. Two storeys; south front of dressed masonry has recessed mullioned windows all with round-headed lights and hollow spandrels, and mostly with king-mullions; at the right hand end of the hall range a gabled 2-storey porch with moulded 4-centred arched outer and inner doorways, slightly-oversailing upper floor with a 2-light window under a hoodmould, and a straight ledge above this (probably associated with former pigeon-holes in gable); to the left of the porch long windows of 3 + 3 + 3 and 2 lights at ground floor and 3 + 3 + 3 + 2 lights above, both with continuous dripmoulds and the upper of these carried round the re-entrant wall of the wing, which has a 2-light window and a small single-light window at this level. The gable of the west wing has a 3 + 3 light window with a hoodmuld on each floor; its return wall has an external chimney stack to the front bay, with offsets, a corbelled chimney at 1st floor of the rear bay, between these a square-headed 2-light mullioned windows with hoodmould on each floor (upper altered as sash), a little chamfered window beside the front stack at 1st floor, and some other inserted or altered openings. East wing, of 2 lower storeys, set back slightly, has windows of 4 and 2 lights at ground floor, 4 lights at 1st floor, matching the others at the front but without hoodmoulds. Rear is dominated by the wide central gable of the short wing to the hall, which has near the left (east) corner a moulded 4-centred arched doorway to an internal porch, with a hoodmould, above this a rectangular datestone with moulded surround, lettered in reflief BARNARDUS, and at 1st floor a recessed 3-light mullioned window TOWNLEY ET AGNES VXOS EIVS 1579 with hoodmould; the rest of this gable wall has a similar 3-light window at ground floor (lacking mullions) a single-light window at 1st floor, 2 inserted stairlights, and an interrupted ledge in the apex of the gable (as for stone cap of firehood), re-entrant of this wing, and gable of west wing, have some other recessed mullion windows. Rear of east wing altered as garage. Chimney on ridge, another on each east gable. Interior: altered but surviving features include some muntin-and-rail panelling in hall, moulded fireplace in parlour of wing and another in chamber above, corbelled-head fireplace in chamber over, hall and another in the east wing behind it. Reference: RCHM pp.172-3 et passim.
Listing NGR: SD8812031340
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pearson, S, Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760, (1985), 172-3
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.