CARROW ABBEY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1205742
Date first listed:
26-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CARROW ABBEY, BRACONDALE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CARROW ABBEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205742 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 15:48:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CARROW ABBEY, BRACONDALE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Norwich (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 24217 07390

Details

TG 20 NW BRACONDALE (north-east side) 4/99 26.5.54 Carrow Abbey - I Former Benedictine Priory, now reception rooms and offices. C12 foundation; mostly early C16 and late C19. Knapped flint studded with red brick; brick dressings; plain tiled roof. In three parts; former parlour (left): 2 storeys. Wooden mullioned windows to left; small oriel window to right of first floor. Tudor-style doors to left and right with C19 moulded brick jambs. C16 wooden spandrels of right one have Y and a gun (rebus of Elizabeth Wygun, the last Prioress). Traces of C16 window jambs and moulded bricks on first floor and some original brick details to ground-floor window. Brick kneelers to left gable; central 4-shafted ridge chimney. The rear elevation of this range facing the former cloister, has C19 wooden mullioned windows flanking a round rendered stair turret with brick parapet. Door to right retains its original moulded spandrels. Former Hall (Centre) Late C19 porch to right has perpendicular style windows and decorative bargeboards. Large square-fronted bay window to left. C19 wooden mullioned window above porch has C16 moulded brick details. Rear facade has tall C19 wooden mullioned and transomed window to right of massive red brick chimney. Brick kneelers to gables; central 3-shafted ridge chimney. Late C19 Wing (right) : Irregular range set slightly askew has red brick diaper pattern on knapped flint walls. Another wing set back to right with 2-storeys and an attic has 5 first-floor windows and 5 dormers. Moulded brick finials. The rear facade has gables to right and left, the right one with a hexagonal 2-storey bay flanked by a single-storey gable-fronted wing. The interior of the parlour range has C16 panelling and a fireplace on the ground floor, and moulded ceiling beams to bedrooms above, reached by a C19 Gothic style staircase with crockets and lion finials. The hall is reputed to have been re-modelled by E. Boardman in the 1870's with a minstrels' gallery; Entrance hall has a massive hooded stone fireplace bearing the date 1900, and the late C19 wing has elaborately moulded plaster ceilings in the present Director's dining room and in other first-floor rooms. The Benedictine nunnery was founded in 1146, and the west range was rebuilt shortly before the Dissolution, when the property passed to Sir John Shelton. Most of the former Prioress's lodging was re-modelled between 1899 and 1909 for the Colman family. Surviving foundations of the Church and east range of the monastic buildings are scheduled as an Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: TG2421707390

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228839
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04161/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].