CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1205788
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Nov-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205788 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 12:32:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)
Parish:
Gawcott with Lenborough
National Grid Reference:
SP 67994 31829

Details





GAWCOTT WITH LENBOROUGH

SP6731 CHURCH STREET, Gawcott 879-1/7/208 (North side) 13/10/52 Church of Holy Trinity, attached walls and railing (Formerly Listed as: BUCKINGHAM GAWCOTT Church of the Holy Trinity)

II*

Church. 1827. Built by incumbent, Rev Thomas Scott at cost of 1526. Restored and altered 1894 by John Oldrid Scott and C20.Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings, slate roof to body of church, lead roofs to tower and apse. PLAN: polygonal apse, wide aisleless nave and small west tower. EXTERIOR: Classical style. Apse is lower than nave and has blank east wall, windows to canted sides and quoins to angles. Windows have round-arched heads, plain raised ashlar surrounds with key blocks, narrow projecting sills and small leaded panes. 3-bay nave has similar windows and rusticated quoins. West end has 6-paned, double-leaf doors either side of tower with plain raised stone surrounds and low pediments on console brackets. Above doors are windows similar to rest, but shorter. Front is surmounted by half pediments, which flank tower. Tower has 3 stages and west window similar to those of nave and on same scale. Middle stage has blank circles to north, south, and west sides with plain raised stone surrounds, and short top stage with clock face to west side. Tower has rusticated quoins, hollow-chamfered string courses, moulded cornice and plain stone-coped ashlar parapet with piers to angles bearing ball finials. Church has chamfered plinth which is of ashlar to west end and tower, hollow-chamfered cornice and pediment gables, and plain stone-coped parapets. INTERIOR: chancel arch has elliptical-arched head with key block and imposts. Nave and apse have flat plaster ceilings with later applied thin timber ribs. Nave ceiling has 4 circular ventilators with ornamental vents, probably of cast-iron. Original communion rail, shifted forward from entrance to apse, has symmetrical turned balusters. Early C19 hexagonal pulpit with panel mouldings to sides. Original seating in 2 blocks with panelled woodwork. Late C18/early C19 chamber organ with added pedal board. Pair of tall, round arch-headed boards, moved from east to west wall, framing Lord's Prayer and Creed to one, Ten Commandments to other.MONUMENTS: wall monument of white marble on slate ground to parish benefactor John West d.1814 who paid for previous chapel; erected by his trustees and signed Harrison Buckingham. Veined marble wall monument on slate ground, signed Harrison, in memory of Reverend Thomas Scott 1780-1835 as inscription records '(son of the late Thomas Scott Rector of Aston Sandford) and first incumbent of this chapelry'. Inscription goes on to record 27 years of service and building of present church 'on the site of the former Chapel which had fallen to decay, by assistance of friends tho not without considerable personal expense'. He was father of architect Sir G Gilbert Scott (born in Gawcott) and subsequently appointed rector of Wappenham, Northants. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached walls are approximately 1m high and curve forward from west angles of nave to frame shallow forecourt. Punctuated by gateways to north and south sides of churchyard with C20 iron gates. Wall to south returns to enclose south side of churchyard. This continuation is of coursed limestone rubble with brick coping. A length of iron railing with acorn finials to standards joins wall to apse at east end of churchyard.Present building replaces a chapel built 1806 at the expense of John West. Top stage of tower was lowered in 1967 eliminating a bell-chamber window.

Listing NGR: SP6799431829

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
377300
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
A Short History of Gawcott Church, (1980)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, (1960), 138

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11728/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr W A Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].