CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205838 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 19:16:08.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Erewash (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 39662 40935
SK 34 SE; 1/78
PARISH OF MORLEY, CHURCH LANE (North Side)
Church of St Matthew
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings. Roofs hidden behind parapets. West steeple, aisled nave. South porch, chancel with south aisle and north chapel. Moulded plinth.
West tower of two stages dates from 1403. Diagonal buttreses to west. West doorway with moulded surround, hoodmould and plank doors. Window above with cusped four-centred arch under a square head. Clock face above and 2-light Dec bell openings. Similar bell openings to the other three faces. Curved staircase projection to right. South elevation has similar stair projection and a small rectangular window. Lean-to south aisle has a square headed west window of two ogee lights. Returned hoodmould. Gabled south porch, the doorway with six orders of moulding, head stops and triple filleted responds. Inner doorway of two orders, chamfered and concave. Plank doors with iron hinges. Small arrow slit side windows. To the right are two windows similar to the aisle west window, then a buttress, a priest's doorway with a chamfered and concave order and a 3-light window similar to the other windows. Clerestory with a plain ovolo moulded 2-light and 3-light window. South aisle east window of three ogee lights under a square head. Main east window of three lights with cusped intersecting tracery and filleted nook shafts. North chapel east window of 4-lights with ogees and cusping, under straight heads. North aisle of five bays. Four 4-light Perp windows with ogees and cusping under straight heads. Closely spaced with thin buttresses between. In the western bay is a gothic doorway with moulded surround and plank door and a window with square head and two ogee lights. The west end of the north aisle has a similar 2-light and 3-light windows, and a blocked four-centred arched window. Clerestory has two 2-light ovolo moulded mullion windows.
INTERIOR: two-bay nave arcades. The south arcade C12, with a circular pier, scalloped capital and unmoulded arches. The north arcade has a circular pier and elementary moulded capitals. Double-chamfered chancel arch on semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals. The chancel has an unequal two-bay north arcade with four-centred arches and octagonal piers. Concave moulded capitals. The north aisle was added in 1380. South chapel added in 1453, with irregular arcade. Corbelled out piscina. A second piscina with cusped and trefoiled arch. Double-chamfered tower arch, the inner order on corbels.
Monuments: in the north chapel, Brass to John Statham died 1453 and his wife. Brass to Thomas Statham died 1470 and his two wives (on a tomb chest in the south aisle). Henry Statham, died 1480, and three wives and children. Brasses on a tomb chest under a cusped depressed arch between the chancel and the south chapel. John Sacheverell, died 1485, and wife, and children (south chapel). Henry Sacheverell, died 1558, and wife, brasses on a tomb chest (between chancel and north chapel). Katherine Babington, died 1453, tomb chest with recumbent effigy (north chapel), the best monument in the church. Four incised slabs to Sacheverell children (north chapel floor) 1625, 1626, 1638, 1639. Jacynth Sacheverell, died 1656, recumbent alabaster effigies (north chapel). Henry Sacheverell, died 1662, a big tomb chest without effigies (north chapel). Jonathan Sacheverell, died 1662, a wall monument with two frontal demi-figures (south chapel). William Sacheverell, died 1691, a big tomb chest with polished marble top and no effigies (north chapel). Robert Sacheverell, died 1714, a Baroque pedestal with free-standing urn (north chapel). Tablets to Jane Sacheverell, died 1746 and Elizabeth Sitwell, died 1769 (north aisle). Several early C19 Grecian tablets by Hall of Derby. Sculpture to Jacynth Sacheverell Wilmot-Sitwell, died 1916.
In the north chapel, medieval tiles from Dale Abbey. Stained glass. Extensive medieval glass in the easternmost windows of the north chapel, from Dale Abbey and dating from 1482. Repaired and added to in 1847 by William Warrington. Windows at west end of north aisle early C20. Other windows by Hardman and by Burlison & Grylls, a good collection. C19 pews and choir stalls. C17 (?) octagonal font and cover. Three benefaction boards at the west end of the south aisle. Re-used box pews as panelling around the baptistry.
Listing NGR: SK3966440934
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.