GOLDNEY HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1205899
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Statutory Address:
GOLDNEY HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS, CLIFTON HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GOLDNEY HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205899 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 12:53:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
GOLDNEY HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS, CLIFTON HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 57406 72843

Details

BRISTOL

ST5772NW CLIFTON HILL, Clifton 901-1/14/782 (South side) 08/01/59 Goldney House and attached walls

GV II

House. c1720. Possibly by George Tully. Recased, altered and extended 1864-5 by Alfred Waterhouse. Limestone ashlar with lateral and ridge ashlar stacks and a slate hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style with Second Empire style alterations. 2 storeys and basement; 11-window range. Symmetrical C18 front with recessed end and linking sections to C19 right-hand stair tower; 1-window entrance section broken forward with rusticated pilaster strips, left end quoins, ground-floor cornice, deeper second-floor cornice and balustraded parapet. The entrance has fluted Corinthian columns to an entablature and pediment, semicircular-arched doorway and C20 door. 3:1:3 windows, with ground-floor pediments, segmental to the middle one, and keys to the first floor, panelled aprons. Plate-glass sashes. Square 4-stage tower has a blind lower stage with a left-hand doorway, second stage with a pedimented window, and oval panel with eared architrave to the left, 3 third-stage windows, blind to the left, and an open fourth stage with arcades of 3 semicircular arches on paired Tuscan columns, pierced balustrade of circles, modillion cornice, pierced parapet with lozenges, and steep pyramidal roof with wrought-iron widow's walk. Pedimented dormers to the tower and house roofs. Largely C19 sides and rear, including a link to the road with 4 semicircular arches with LF to the keys. The C18 stable attached to E end has a central gable with a banded ashlar surround to the doorway, altered windows, and an ashlar ridge stack, a through arch linking it to the house, and keyed bull's eyes in the end gables. INTERIOR: a c1825 fine mahogany panelled dining room with paired fluted Doric pilasters to a frieze, good Hotwells marble fireplace with glazed tile back and fine overmantel in the Gibbons manner carved with birds and flowers. Garden entrance to a c1865 hall and axial passage divided by elliptical arches, a large stair hall to the right with an open-well stair with twisted balusters and newels with ball finials, and a good stone fireplace with 3/4 fluted Ionic columns to an entablature and acroteria. Stair tower has open-well service stair. The former stables now altered late C20. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rubble walls extend for approx 30m E from the street doorway to a carriage entrance with ashlar piers with ball finials attached to the stables, curved rubble wall extends approx 20m from the stable to the SE, and English garden wall bond brick wall for approx 40m to Constitution Hill. HISTORICAL NOTE: possibly based on a previous house of 1694. Built for the Quaker merchant Thomas Goldney, whose family created the important garden and grotto (qv), and recased for Lewis Fry by Waterhouse. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 116).

Listing NGR: ST5740672843

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379240
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 116
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England, Part 1 Avon,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/15183/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].