PENHALIGON HOUSE, PRINCES STREET FRONT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1205930
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Jul-1993
Statutory Address:
PENHALIGON HOUSE, PRINCES STREET FRONT, PRINCES STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PENHALIGON HOUSE, PRINCES STREET FRONT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205930 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 15:26:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
PENHALIGON HOUSE, PRINCES STREET FRONT, PRINCES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Truro
National Grid Reference:
SW 82791 44775

Details

TRURO

SW8244NE PRINCE'S STREET 880-1/7/219 (South side) 29/12/50 Penhaligon House, Prince's Street front (Formerly Listed as: PRINCE'S STREET (South side) Blackford's)

GV II*

Large town house, now bank. Early C18, for a member of the Gregor family, partly destroyed by fire in 1923, extensively repaired late 1980s. Local rubble walls, hipped dry Delabole slate roof with projecting eaves and pierced clay ridge tiles. Rectangular plan with 2 large rooms at the front flanking a central entrance hall. 3 storeys; symmetrical 5-window range. Plinth, central stuccoed Tuscan doorway with engaged columns and moulded entablature, wide 6-panel door with fielded panels. Wide C20 tripartite horned sashes with glazing bars in openings altered in the C18; rendered above second-floor windows. INTERIOR: restored mid C18 plaster ceilings to entrance hall and right-hand room: both ceilings have carved and moulded modillioned cornices one with arabesques to corners and centre. History: It is reputed that Tennyson (who befriended the occupier and Cornish poet, Henry Sewell Stokes) stayed here and during this time wrote "In Memoriam". (The Truro Buildings Research Group: Prince's Street and The Quay Area: Truro: 1980-).

Listing NGR: SW8279144775

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
377532
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Princes Street and The Quay Area, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08111/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Thomas Anthony Mellow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].