Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205946.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2021 at 12:12:00.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Hyndburn (District Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD 74628 31461


CLAYTON-LE-MOORS SPARTH ROAD SD 73 SW 2/67 Sparth Manor (formerly listed as The Farm House) 11.7.1966 - II*

Farmhouse formerly Old Sparth House, probably early to mid-C17, now restaurant. Sandstone rubble with quoins, roof of stone slates with gable copings, 2 chimneys on the ridge and a projecting chimney at left gable. Three-bay baffle-entry plan (later addition at left end) with short rear wing to 1st bay and gabled stair turret at junction of 2nd and 3rd bays. Two storeys. Two-storey gabled porch at junction of 2nd and 3rd bays has Tudor-arched moulded surround with a hoodmould and above this a stepped 3-light window with stepped hoodmould, a hollow- moulded coping with a finial on the apex and kneelers. Front wall has 7 stone mullioned windows with chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds: to left of porch those at ground floor (4 and 5 lights) have ovolo moulded mullions, others have chamfered mullions (some missing); to right of porch a 4-light ground floor window and a 5-light 1st floor window have hollow-chamfered mullions, and there is one small blocked window at 1st floor level. Rear has 6 similar stone mullioned windows, principally one at 1st floor of 3rd bay which has 5 lights and ovolo moulded mullions; otherwise most of these windows are of 3 lights with chamfered mullions. Interior: altered, principally by insertion of staircase in original stack between 2nd and 3rd bays, but stone arch to original hearth in 2nd bay survives, and there are 4 large lateral beams with small chamfer. Partition between 1st and 2nd bays has been removed. History: said to have been built in 1556 by the Rishton family (Richard Ainswerth The Old Homesteads of Accrington and District, 1928, pp. 308-315).

Listing NGR: SD7462831461


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ainsworth, R, The Old Homesteads of Accrington and District, (1928), 308-315


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07438/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Hyde. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.