FORMER MEETING HOUSE TO REAR OF HARVEY'S HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1205947

Date first listed: 13-Dec-1993

Statutory Address: FORMER MEETING HOUSE TO REAR OF HARVEY'S HOSPITAL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER MEETING HOUSE TO REAR OF HARVEY'S HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205947 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 06:05:44.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER MEETING HOUSE TO REAR OF HARVEY'S HOSPITAL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Chard Town

National Grid Reference: ST 32002 08610

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHARD

756-1/4/121 HIGH STREET 13-DEC-93 CHARD (North side) FORMER MEETING HOUSE TO REAR OF HARVEY 'S HOSPITAL

GV II Former Meeting House at Harvey's Hospital, constructed in 1904. MATERIALS: Stretcher bond cream brick; gabled slate roof with glazed clerestory and moulded kneelers to shaped gables; brick end stack with moulded stone coping. PLAN: One room plan, and single storey. EXTERIOR: The east elevation has a label mould over a segmental arch with sunk spandrels and engaged shafts to the panelled double doors. There is a four-light Tudor-arched transomed window to the south gable wall which has a label mould over. INTERIOR: Retains a glazed ceramic fireplace with mantelshelf.

HISTORY: An almshouse known as Harvey's Hospital was established in Chard in 1663, founded and endowed by the will of Richard Harvey, a merchant from Exeter. who was born in Chard. By the C19 the almhouse was in a poor state of repair and was demolished and replaced by the existing buildings in 1841/2 at a cost of £1741. The detached meeting house was added to the north in 1904 to provide a common room for work and reading, and where religious services could be held.

SOURCES: Tony Prior, Harveys, The Story of an Almshouse

REASON FOR DESIGNATION: The former meeting house at Harvey's Hospital is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Its overall level of architectural quality, particularly visible in its key external features * It has strong group value with the Grade II listed almshouse * It contributes to the historic development of the ensemble of which it forms a part

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 374150

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing