NORTH EAST TERRACE OLDBURY COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206048
Date first listed:
31-Oct-1989
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
NORTH EAST TERRACE, 1-16, EAST STREET
Statutory Address:
OLDBURY COTTAGE, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTH EAST TERRACE
OLDBURY COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206048 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 12:10:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
NORTH EAST TERRACE, 1-16, EAST STREET
Statutory Address:
OLDBURY COTTAGE, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Tewkesbury
National Grid Reference:
SO 89552 32822

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO8932 EAST STREET 859-1/6/158 (North side) 31/10/89 (Consecutive) Nos.1-16 North East Terrace and Oldbury Cottage (Formerly Listed as: EAST STREET (North side) Nos.14, 16, 17 AND 18 1-16 (Cons) NE Terrace inc Oldbury Cottage and dwelling adj to E)

GV II

Terrace of 16 houses, formerly lace and stocking-knitting factory. Originally built 1825 for George Freeman, lace manufacturer, enlarged c1860 for Samuel Massey Crosse, converted to houses c1900. Modified English garden wall bond brickwork, slate roof, brick stacks. PLAN: a long building with repetitive detail set at right angles to East Street, and approached through a wide carriage arch between Nos 16 & 17, East Street (qv). A short wing returns across the far end, including Oldbury Cottage, backing on to Trinity School Walk. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic, 15-windowed to west and 16 to east. Varied casements, mainly 3-light, all to wide segmental-headed openings at both levels, with narrow brick piers between bays. Doors form part of fill to ground floor archway, with filled tympana. At the back (E) a similar series of arched openings at 2 levels, with small sky-lights to roof, and small 1-storey extensions. 16 square brick ridge stacks each with 4 square cream terracotta pots. Factory extended across N end and returned to S in 1860. The N gable retains, at first floor, 2 of the wide windows with original small-pane glazing. INTERIOR formerly very austere with no internal columns (see VCH), since c1900 completely divided into separate dwellings. HISTORICAL NOTE: this was the first and largest textile factory in Tewkesbury, built to accommodate 37 transverse warp bobbin net machines. Freeman came to Tewkesbury from Nottingham to take advantage of the skills in the local stocking industry. Steam had been introduced by the mid 1830s but in 1853 Freeman retired, and the factory remained empty until 1860 when Samuel Massey Crosse from London enlarged the buildings and installed power looms driven by a 12hp Edwards Beam Engine which also provided central heating. Crosse's company was called 'The Patent Renewable Hosiery Company', but he died in 1860 and the factory closed; re-opened in 1862, by about c1900 it was finally closed, and converted to houses. The stocking knitting industry, which had increasingly taken the place in the C17 and C18 of the declining wollen cloth industry, had become the chief industry of Tewkesbury by the early C19: in 1830 700 frames employed 1/4 of the population. With the various terraces of workers' cottages in East Street and Chance Street the whole area stands as an important reminder of Tewkesbury's recent industrial past. (Adcock J A: The Tewkesbury Stocking Industry: 1760-1900: 1973-; Victoria County History: Gloucestershire: London: 1968-: 145).

Listing NGR: SO8955232822

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
376739
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Adcock, J A , The Tewkesbury Stocking Industry 1760-1900, (1973)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1968), 145

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15757/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Giles Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].