BAPTIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1206076

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1950

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHURCH, HOLYROOD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206076 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 13:18:39.

Location

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHURCH, HOLYROOD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Chard Town

National Grid Reference: ST 32184 08499

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHARD

ST3308 HOLYROOD STREET 756-1/4/146 (East side) 24/03/50 Baptist Church

GV II*

Church. Dated 1842. Ham Hill stone ashlar facade, rubblestone and brick rear; slate roof. Single room plan with later C19 school rooms to rear. Greek Revival style. 2 storeys, symmetrical one-window range; substantial plinth and 4 rounded steps up to 8-panel double-door set in moulded architrave under cornice supported by consoles; above is a large semicircular-arched window with cast-iron glazing bars, framed by Doric pilasters and a small pediment with antefixae. This is flanked by 2 pairs of full-height Doric pilasters supporting a cornice and pediment which almost spans the facade and bears the raised carved date MDCCCXLII. The ground floor has banded rustication between plinth and a platband above level of the door. INTERIOR: east end has round-arched recess over semicircular-arched cast-iron window with late C19 red and blue glass borders above a substantial pulpit raised on 2 octagonal columns which fan out to support a curved-fronted platform; original 1842 stairs with stick balusters and mahogany rail; balusters to front are of late C19 cast-iron bamboo design. 4-panel doors set in reeded architraves each side of pulpit. East end has incised key pattern to panelling. Gallery to other 3 sides is supported by cast-iron pillars and has cast-iron windows above and original pews; windows below were replaced in 1988. A very fine and complete example. (Stell C: Non-Conformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in SW England: London: 1991-: P.171).

Listing NGR: ST3218408499

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 374175

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991), 171

End of official listing