This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1206134



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SP2054 OLD TOWN 604-1/6/158 (North East side) 25/10/51 Dower House and Avon Croft and attached garden wall (Formerly Listed as: OLD TOWN (North East side) Dower House and Avon Croft)


House, divided into two c1740, and attached wall. C16 origins with later alterations and additions including C17 north wing: Avon Croft. Timber-frame with roughcast cladding; tile roofs with brick stacks. Hall and cross-wing forming L-plan with parallel rear wing attached to cross-wing. 2 storeys; 6-window range to street; left half is Avon Croft. Brick platt band and top cornice. Entrance to Avon Croft has architrave, frieze and cornice, overlight to C20 panelled door; flanking windows with sills and 12-pane sashes in architraves, 3 similar windows above. Entrance to Dower House has plain doorcase, frieze and cornice to 6-fielded-panel door, side windows with 8-pane sashes; 3 other ground-floor windows have 12-pane sashes with architraves; 1st floor has 3 flat-roofed half-dormers with 12-pane horned sash and two 16-pane sashes. 2 cross-axial stacks and stack to rear of ridge. Angle to right has attached 2-storey C18 block with gabled roof and round-headed entrance to right return with shell hood; window with 12-pane thick-bar sash over. Right return to Southern Lane has 2-storey gabled projection between gables, some sashed windows; stone cross-axial stack with 4 clustered but separate diagonal brick stacks. Rear has small 2-storey gabled wing with return lean-to to left of larger range with close-studding to return and 2 gables to front; some sashed windows and stone cross-axial stack with 3 truncated diagonal brick shafts; single-storey wing under hipped roof to right end. Rear of Avon Croft has some square framing; gabled stair wing with return window with 9/6-pane thick-bar sash, similar 12-pane sash to right, to left of gabled porch; mostly small-paned casements; small courtyard has gables to sides. INTERIOR: Dower House recorded as rich in original features; front range has 1st floor open to roof with has smoke-blackened rafters suggesting original open hall; return wing has ground-floor room with stone fireplace and late C16 panelling with fluted frieze and 3-panel overmantel, another has C18 panelling and late C18 fireplace; dogleg staircase has simply turned balusters and moulded handrail, panelled newels with enriched pyramidal finials, possibly installed by Shakespeare in New Place and removed by Sir John Clopton on its demolition in 1702; 1st floor room has stone fireplace and late C16 panelling. Avon Croft has dogleg staircase with slender balusters and square newels; some dado panelling and 2- and 6-fielded-panel early C18 doors. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: early C19 garden wall attached to angle of house, with round-arched gateway with studded door, and running approx 40m along Southern Lane; brick with round-angled pilaster strips and modillioned cornice to offset coping, recessed gatepiers and C20 gate toward right end. The house was possibly the manor house for Stratford, and was owned by the Clopton family until 1738, probably serving as the dower house. (VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-: 16; Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 44; Forrest H E: The Old Houses of Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 141-2; Jaggard G: Companion to Stratford: Stratford-upon-Avon: 1964-: 55, 59).

Listing NGR: SP2005754472

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 44
Forrest, H E, The Old Houses of Stratford upon Avon, (1925), 141-2
Jaggard, G, Companion to Stratford, (1964), 55 59
Styles, P, The Borough of Stratford Upon Avon and the Parish of Alveston, (1946), 16

National Grid Reference: SP2005754472


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206134 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 12:20:33.

End of official listing