OFFLEY ALMSHOUSES AND FRONT BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206178

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 14-May-1985

Statutory Address: OFFLEY ALMSHOUSES AND FRONT BOUNDARY WALL, 1-11, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OFFLEY ALMSHOUSES AND FRONT BOUNDARY WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206178 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:35:16.

Location

Statutory Address: OFFLEY ALMSHOUSES AND FRONT BOUNDARY WALL, 1-11, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)

Parish: Madeley

National Grid Reference: SJ 77242 44196

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 74 SE MADELEY C.P. STATION ROAD

5/62 Nos. 1 to 11 (incl.) (Offley Almshouses) and front boundary 17/11/66 wall (formerly listed as Almshouses)

GV II

Row of almshouses, originally 10 in number, now 11. 1645, remodelled and extended 1889 and again restored in 1968 (see inscription panels between Nos. 6 and 7). Purplish-brown brick (mixed bonds), plain tile roof and 5. ridge stacks. 2 storeys with continuous dentil eaves cornice; 10 windows across first floor, 2-light late C19 leaded casements, those to ground floor. under segmental heads; plain boarded doors in pairs under 6 hip-roofed porches supported by wooden pillars on low brick walls. No.1 (at right-hand end) is set back from the rest and is an addition of 1889 in similar style. To the front of'the almshouses a low brick wall with stone capping. The almshouses were endowed and built under the terms of the will (1645) of Sir John Offley of Madeley, and were extended and improved by Hungerford, Baron of Crewe in 1889. B.O.E., p.200.

Listing NGR: SJ7724244196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 362673

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 200

End of official listing