CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1206261

Date first listed: 20-May-1949

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206261 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 20:27:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes (District Authority)

Parish: Newhaven

National Grid Reference: TQ 44261 01128

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWHAVEN

TQ4401SW CHURCH HILL 769-1/7/6 (East side) 20/05/49 Church of St Michael and All Angels

GV II*

Parish church. Norman tower and apse, broached spire added subsequently, N aisle added c1795, aisle and nave lengthened 1810, vestry added 1825, S aisle and S-E porch erected 1854 when church refitted and W gallery built, west porch added 1961 and church restored. (The latter was then linked by a covered walkway to the coeval flat-roofed church rooms - not of special interest.) Mid C19 work by William Gilbert Habershon. Knapped flint, stone dressings, cement render to C19 window openings, tiled roofs, wooden shingled spire. Plan: W porch, 5-bay nave, N and S aisles, S-E porch in angle with E tower, apse on E face. Single-storey apse, pilaster buttresses rising to dentil eaves, remains of string course with dentil moulding below E end lancet window, later lancets to N and S faces; 2-storey tower with broached spire, gargoyles on corbel table below eaves, moulded string course upon which rests 2-lightbell-openings, the E window just above roof ridge of apse, N window has original shaft with shaft ring. S-E porch double doors with ornamental hinges; S front alternate lancets and 2-light windows, W end with three 2-light windows and single-storey porch entered on S front through glazed door, bull's eye window on W front, buttressed N front with butt-joint marking aisle extension, alternate lancet and 2-light windows, flat-roofed vestry with C20 arched-head window. Interior: rendered, nave and aisles mid C19. Open timber tie-beam roofto S aisle, scissor-brace roof to N aisle, moulded wall-plate toeastern bays of nave, possibly remaining from earlier building. Timberposts to 5-bay Tudor-arch head arcades with pierced quatrefoilspandrels. W face of tower arch: plain round-arched opening with 2orders of columns altered by inserted entablature, similar on outer faceto apse, but inner faces roll-moulded and ornamented with scallopedcapitals; unmoulded transverse beams to ceiling; S tower windowround-arched head with deep splays, N window larger and formerly adoor. Apse: window openings resting on string course, pointed lancetsN and S, central round arch lancet at east end with deep splays;simple crown-post roof on tie-beam. Wooden organ gallery runs the lengthof the W end with trefoil-headed arcade decoration. Organ by Batesand Son of Ludgate Hill, London, c1854. Mid C19 fittings including fontwith cover, pulpit, brass lecturn, elegant brass gas-mantel brackets(converted to electricity), late C19 stained glass in apse and tower.Turned oak altar rails presented 1961. A rare example of an E towerwith apsidal end. This was the parish church of Meeching, set on thehillside above the River Ouse; the river subsequently altered its courseafter a great storm in 1570 and Meeching became Newhaven with the growthof the port in the C17. (Buildings of England: Nairn I: Sussex: 1965-; Anon: The Parish Church of St Michael, Newhaven; Sussex Directory: 1895-).

Listing NGR: TQ4426101128

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 374196

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Parish Church of St Michael Newhaven Church Guide
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, The Buildings of England: Sussex, (1965)
'Sussex Directory' in Sussex Directory, (1895)

End of official listing