NUMBERS 41 AND 43 AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS WITH BALL FINIALS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206268

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 41 AND 43 AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS WITH BALL FINIALS, 41 AND 43, DOWNLEAZE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 41 AND 43 AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS WITH BALL FINIALS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206268 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 14:36:38.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 41 AND 43 AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS WITH BALL FINIALS, 41 AND 43, DOWNLEAZE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 56487 75128

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5675 DOWNLEAZE, Sneyd Park 901-1/31/1797 (North West side) Nos.41 AND 43 and attached garden walls and piers with ball finials

GV II

Pair of attached houses. c1896. By Henry Dare Bryan. Snecked limestone rubble and dressings, tilehanging, brick ridge and diagonally-set lateral stacks and tile hipped and gabled roof. Double-depth plan. Queen Anne style. 3 storeys; 2-window range. A symmetrical pair with the entrances in the sides, projecting outer gables linked across the ground floor with stone-framed windows. Carved doorcases have terms flanking a mullion overlight and swan's neck pediment, to an elliptical-arched battened 2-leaf door. No.39 has a porte cochere with a hipped roof and Doric columns to the wall between the houses. The gables have bows with 5-light windows and a parapet; 3-light first-floor windows above have small pediments cutting a string, and 4-light second-floor windows with a central king mullion; finials flank a steep, segmental-pedimented gable with a keyed oculus. Between are 3-light ground-floor windows with a balcony above with ball finials; the upper storeys are set back with 3-light windows beneath coved eaves and large 4-light dormers. The lower floors have plate-glass casements with glazing bars above the transoms. The rear elevation has semicircular-arched stair lights and a single-storey service block. INTERIOR: hall screen with stained-glass door and side lights, central hall with elliptical arch to dogleg staircase which has turned balusters and large newels, 5-panel doors, rear kitchens with built-in dressers, fireplaces and cornices. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front garden walls and piers with ball finials. Stongly influenced by Norman Shaw's Bedford Park, 1881. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 398).

Listing NGR: ST5648775128

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379517

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 398

End of official listing