MUSEUM AND AVICE'S COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206423

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1993

Statutory Address: MUSEUM AND AVICE'S COTTAGE, 217, WAKEHAM

Map

Ordnance survey map of MUSEUM AND AVICE'S COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 13:21:50.

Location

Statutory Address: MUSEUM AND AVICE'S COTTAGE, 217, WAKEHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)

Parish: Portland

National Grid Reference: SY 69618 71257

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PORTLAND

SY6871 WAKEHAM, Easton 969-1/4/82 (East side) 16/01/51 No.217 Museum and Avice's Cottage (Formerly Listed as: WAKEHAM, Easton No.217 Portland Museum) (Formerly Listed as: WAKEHAM, Easton Avice's Cottage)

GV II

Two former cottages now both serving as Portland Museum. No 217 is of the C17 but much modified in the early C19; good squared and coursed dressed block, thatch roof. Two storeys, 2-windowed. 16-pane C19 sashes in chamfered flush plat surrounds to wood cills; ground-floor window left formerly wider, probably 3-light mullioned casement. Central flat slabbed stone porch with small opening towards street and plank door on return to S; ground-floor window right was former doorway. Raised coped verge and slab capping to former stack, right, big kneeler stones. Blocked 1-light attic opening to gable return which links to adjoining cottage with length of wall closing gap to roof slope. Avice's Cottage is now without floor or partitions, but may have been cross-passage 2-room plan, returns at right angles to No 217, squared dressed stone block and thatched roof; one storey and attic, with coped gable to left over 16-pane sash under a stopped moulded drip, and at ground floor a similar window but a 24-pane casement. To right a 20-pane sash, and cntre a plank door. The front gable carries date stone 1640, and is coped on large kneelers; the return gable wall, left, is plain except for small blocked light set low right. Right end gable is plain, largely covered by a later extension (nsi). At back No 217 has swept-down extension to door and single light, and Avice's Cottage has basket-head recess at mid height and horizontal sliding sash 2x12-pane in flush surround. Interior of Avice's Cottage, has deep bressumer fire at W end, with C19 grate, and three small square exits to flue, and an C18 fire at upper level; copper boiler in NE corner. No 217 has deep wood bressumer fireplace on stone cheeks to N wall, with deep recess to left roofed with close-set beams or thick planks, stone slab floor, stick baluster stair. The property was a gift to Islanders from Dr. Marie Stopes in 1929. Its name derives from Thomas Hardy's 'The Well-Beloved', which features three generations of Avice's on the 'Isle of Slingers'. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London: 1970-: 257).

Listing NGR: SY6961871257

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 382073

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 257

End of official listing