This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BANK HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BANK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1206424

Location

BANK HOUSE, 9, EXETER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Launceston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Jun-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 370000

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LAUNCESTON

SX3284 EXETER STREET 660-1/4/60 (North side) No.9 Bank House

GV II

Savings bank, now house. 1857 by Henry Crisp, builder William Burt, for Launceston Savings Bank. Stucco on rubble with granite plinth, sills and sill brackets, parapet with moulded cornice; hipped dry slate roof with 2-stage stuccoed end stacks with moulded cornices. Double-depth U-shaped plan plan with lean-to stair projection to rear right-hand angle, recessed central entrance bay. C20 windows within moulded architraves with tall keyblocks; tripartite central doorway with side-lights all with moulded round arches springing from stepped corbels; keyblocks to lights, 3 consoles over doorway linked to moulded mid-floor string; pair of 2-panel doors and plain fanlight. Rear has 5 original hornless sashes with glazing bars. INTERIOR: original features include dog-leg open-string staircase with turned balusters, moulded ceiling cornices, slate chimney-pieces and 6-panel doors. Entrance/stair hall later subdivided and doorway on left of entrance hall through former fireplace. HISTORY: Bank house was the 1st purpose-built premises for the Launceston Saving Bank which started on 28th January 1818, one of the 1st of its kind in England. In 1865 some rooms, rented by Fleetwood Kempson (solicitor) were used as reading rooms and a club later known as the Tamar Club. (Kelly's Directory: Directory of Cornwall: 1902-: 169).

Listing NGR: SX3336584584

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Cornwall, (1902), 169

National Grid Reference: SX3336584584

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206424 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 08:43:16.

End of official listing