4, MARKET HILL
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1206460
Date first listed: 28-Nov-1951
Date of most recent amendment: 31-Oct-1994
Statutory Address: 4, MARKET HILL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206460 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 17:36:41.
Statutory Address: 4, MARKET HILL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Uttlesford (District Authority)
Parish: Saffron Walden
National Grid Reference: TL 53849 38559
TL5338 MARKET HILL 669-1/1/271 (East side) 28/11/51 No.4
Formerly known as: No.6 MARKET HILL. Shop and office range to Market Hill and The Cockpit. C15, refronted c1800 with refenestration and a shop window to each street, minimal C20 adaptation. Timber-framed, plastered, peg-tiled roof. L shaped plan round street corner. 2 storeys. W front elevation to Market Hill. Gabled jettied block to S with heavy bracket of angle post protruding to also carry jetty along Emson Close, rest of jetty features covered except for N end bracket. Large C19 shop bay window, glazing bars, top and end margin glazing plus 8x3 panes, window brought forward on wall cants with brick plinth. First floor, c1800 tripartite sash window, moulded architraves with glazing bars, 1x4,3x4,1x4 panes, above, first floor sliding sash window c1800, moulded architrave, 6x3 panes. S front elevation to Emson Close. 3 units, (1) to W. Side wall of jettied block with well preserved early C19 shop window built forward and following street curve, glazing bars, large 5x2 panes, some old glass remains. Corniced head board links to contemporary doorway with moulded architrave and overlight, door C20 plain with upper light. Projecting shop and door unit continues across adjacent block to E with long 10x2 paned fixed window. To W, doorway, canted back to Market Hill with cast-iron decorative grille over doorway, door C20, plain with upper glazing 2x3 panes. First floor, W end, 3-cant C19 sash bay window over shop projection, to E, C19 sash window, moulded architrave 3x2 panes. (2) to E 3 window range, timber-framed and plastered above ground floor of colourwashed brick. 3 first floor C19 sash windows with glazing bars, one 4x2 panes, two 3x2 panes. Ground floor window C20 3-light casement 3x2 panes, one long C20 fixed window 5x2 panes. Stack at ridge towards E. (3) timber-framed and weatherboarded, later C19 block over brick ground floor. Roof slated. Ground floor, C20 boarded door with C20 casement window each side, one 3x2 panes, one 2x2 panes. First floor, C19 sash window with moulded architrave, 3x3 panes. Rear has very narrow long yard with rendered timber framing, windows mainly early C20 casements. INTERIOR: basic framing of long rear range evident, heavy ground floor ceiling joists in jettied block. Bay to N in Market Hill, roof rafters heavily sooted showing it to be part of a medieval open hall. What remains in Market Hill is probably the lower half of a medieval H hall house, the N end having gone. If so it would have originally been similar to Nos 12 & 14 (qv). RCHM records a door of early C17 panelling and a panelled dado of the same date.
Listing NGR: TL5384938559
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 370656
Legacy System: LBS
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing