This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBER 12 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS AND PIERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 12 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS AND PIERS

List entry Number: 1206485

Location

NUMBER 12 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS AND PIERS, 12, DOWRY SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 379535

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5772NW DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells 901-1/14/1429 (East side) 08/01/59 No.12 and attached front area railings and piers (Formerly Listed as: DOWRY SQUARE No.12)

GV II*

House, now school. Dated 1750. Possibly designed by Thomas Paty. Built by Richard Matthews. Roughcast with limestone dressings, gable stacks and a pantile double-pile roof. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and bsement; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has rusticated pilaster strips to a moulded coping. The doorway has curved steps up, and shallow blocked jambs and a stepped key to an 8-panel door. Cambered heads with 5 stepped voussoirs, with a console pediment to the centre on the first floor and a console cornice to the second floor above, to 6/6-pane ground- and first-floor sashes, with thick bars on the first floor, and 3/6-panes on the second; late C18 timber canted bay to the right has 8/8-pane sashes in flush frames. Rear elevation has a central shallow, gabled stair block. INTERIOR: entrance passage divided by a semicircular arch with key and cornice, rear dogleg stair with uncut string, column balusters and paired newels, and a ramped, moulded rail; plain fire surrounds, 4-panel doors and panelled shutters. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area walls, railings and piers. Dowry Square was laid out by George Tully in 1720, and building continued until 1750. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 105; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 156).

Listing NGR: ST5703672639

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 105
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 156

National Grid Reference: ST 57036 72639

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206485 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 06:56:19.

End of official listing