12, BROAD STREET, 11, 13 AND 13A, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1206510
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1950
Statutory Address:
11, 13 AND 13A, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
12, BROAD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 12, BROAD STREET, 11, 13 AND 13A, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206510.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 09:41:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
11, 13 AND 13A, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
12, BROAD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Launceston
National Grid Reference:
SX 33170 84586

Details

LAUNCESTON

SX3384 HIGH STREET 660-1/4/72 (South East side) 27/02/50 Nos.11, 13 AND 13A

GV II*

Includes: No.12 BROAD STREET. Two merchants' houses. No.13 of 1555 for Thomas Hicks (inscribed T H on label stops), other house of similar date. Painted slatehanging on jettied timber-frame between stone side walls with incised stucco, with triple-moulded corbels. No.11 (left) with front roof parallel to street, probably originally a pair of gables. No.13 gable end on to street and with 1st floor underbuilt in the C18; dry slate roofs; hipped returns to No.11; rubble lateral stacks (rear of No.11 and on left of No.13). Plan: No.13 has cross passage on right leading to semi-circular-on-plan newel stair projection and projecting rear wing on left; No.13 is 1-room plan later subdivided to upper floors. 3 storeys over basement to No.11; 2 storeys and attic; overall 3-window range. No.11 is 2-window range with original or C17 four-light mullioned windows to 2nd floor with mid/late C18 casements with thick glazing bars to second floor, except for blocked light on right; 1st floor with original or C17 oriel windows with moulded sills on shaped brackets, intermediate mullions removed and early/mid C18 pairs of horizontal-sliding sashes with very thick glazing bars and return lights. Ground floor has late C19 three-light shop front on the left and early C20 projecting 3-light shop front with glazing bars except where removed to central light; older granite stall-risers with squat basement windows; original moulded oak doorframe on right with original 15-panel studded door. Window to 2nd floor of right-hand return mostly blocked. Old down pipe echoes shape of jetties. Rear is slatehanging on timber-frame and has at least 2 windows with leaded lights and many C18 windows with very thick glazing bars at least 2 of which are horizontal sliding sashes, one to wing with return light and all within remains of C17 of original frames. No.13 has 1-window front set back from other front. Early/mid C18 paired sashes with very thick glazing bars to upper floors; splay towards corner to 1st floor on right. Ground floor has late C19-light shop window with doorway on right plus splayed light to far right, the whole shop front angled so that it projects on the left moulded fascia curves in on right and fits under jetty; slender turned mullions with curved bases and caps; scribed pilaster on left. Right-hand return has 4-light shop front with similar detail, right-hand light in former doorway. 1st floor has original moulded granite jambs and lintel with hoodmould and inscribed stops linked to granite string, with pair of C18 sashes like those to front; 2nd floor with pair of late C19 four-pane horned sashes over possibly original granite sill. INTERIOR of both houses retain many original or C17 features including: ovolo-moulded door frames, with unusual stops to several openings; one C17 door with ovolo moulding; winder stair with C18 elliptically-arched doorways with C17 caryatids to ground and 1st floors, carved newel post and ovolo-moulded frame to 2nd floor; very wide elm floorboards where visible and roof structure where inspected (central bay of front) has oak trusses with lap-dovetail collar joints and original trenched purlins. C18 features include moulded ceiling cornice to cross passage and many 2-panel doors. Most fireplaces hidden: large fireplace to ground floor of rear wing has C19 shelf and shaped hanging brackets over. Basement not inspected. C18 frames of doorways between houses suggests the linking of the 2 properties at that time. These houses are visibly the most interesting of the earlier houses within the town centre of Launceston and both externally and internally have survived little altered since the C17 and not altered since the C19. HISTORY: Thomas Hicks was Mayor of the town in the C16 at the time of the Reformation. (Robbins AF: Launceston, Past and Present: Launceston: 1888-: 81, 86.; Wills A).

Listing NGR: SX3316984594

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
370009
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Robbins, A F, Launceston Past and Present, (1888), 81, 86

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05130/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bryon J. Mason. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].