MARKET HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206560
Date first listed:
26-Mar-1949
Statutory Address:
MARKET HOUSE, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARKET HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206560 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 23:40:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
MARKET HOUSE, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bodmin
National Grid Reference:
SX0702067040

Details

BODMIN

SX0767 FORE STREET 629-1/2/61 (North side) 26/03/49 Market House

GV II

Market house. 1839. By William Harris. Granite ashlar with plinth, channelled rustication to sill string, recessed architraves and entablature with moulded parapet cornice; roof not visible at front. Deep rectangular plan. Single storey; symmetrical 1:3:1-bay front. Central bays (originally open) are framed by flat Doric pilasters with carved bulls' heads to frieze above; small window to each side bay. Rear is 2-storey 5-window range of local rubble. INTERIOR: remodelled C20. An excellent example of its type, distinguished by its severe Greek Revival facade and carving. (Colvin H: A Bibliographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840: London: 1978-: 392).

Listing NGR: SX0702067040

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
368004
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 392

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11955/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].