CHURCH OF THE HOLY SAVIOUR CONVENT OF POOR CLARES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206587
Date first listed:
03-Sep-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Jun-1995
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY SAVIOUR, LEE ROAD
Statutory Address:
CONVENT OF POOR CLARES, LEE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY SAVIOUR
CONVENT OF POOR CLARES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206587 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 05:18:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY SAVIOUR, LEE ROAD
Statutory Address:
CONVENT OF POOR CLARES, LEE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Lynton and Lynmouth
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SS7165049367

Details

LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH

SS7149 LEE ROAD, Lynton 858-1/4/18 (North side) 03/09/73 Church of the Holy Saviour and Convent of Poor Clares (Formerly Listed as: LYNTON LEE ROAD Roman Catholic Convent and Church of the Holy Saviour)

GV II

Convent with attached Catholic church. Begun 1908, church dedicated 1910, completed 1931. By Leonard Stokes and George Drysdale. Rendered, slate roofs. The church is attached to the E side of the quadrangle of the domestic range. The convent range is an austere block in 3 storeys with hipped roof. To Lee Road it is in 11 bays, all with 12-pane sashes, horned to the ground floor only. The upper 2 floors have flat pilaster strips and surrounds, with a broad plat-band above the ground floor; 3 painted terracotta roundels in the manner of Della Robbia between first and second floor. The eaves has a moulded cornice. To the left, set back, is a hipped porch extension with doorway. The left (W) return is similar to the street front, in 9 bays, but including paired sashes in bays 7 & 9. There are 3 ridge stacks. To the right, incorporated in the narthex to the church, is the main entry to the convent. INTERIOR of the domestic range not inspected. The church is set gable to the street, and has a very austere exterior. A gable with deep projecting eaves is flanked to the right by a 2-stage bell turret. The gable contains a cross above an inscription panel 'Christi Salvatori' and a central oculus. At the ground floor is a projecting hipped narthex with 3 square lights having Art Nouveau glazing, flanked each side by paired square pilasters doorways to a flat-roofed section. There are paired plank doors on 3 steps, to the left under the inscription 'Convent of Poor Clares', and to the right 'Parish Church of The Holy Saviour'. The return to the right has a further pair of plank doors on steps, then a hipped one-storey unit, over the baptistry, which has a returned wing to the E. The main flank of the church has 2+1 three-light Mannerist stone-mullioned arched windows set flush with the rendered wall, and a stack to the rear. INTERIOR: the narthex, on 7 steps from the doors to the E, has a low coved ceiling, and central deep-set doors in a bolection moulding, flanked by a recess each side. The nave and sanctuary is in 4 bays, plus gallery to S (liturgical W); to the right is a baptistry, and to the left a chapel. The sanctuary is raised on 5 steps with the altar on a further 3. The main space is barrel-vaulted with plastered panelled intrados and heavy transverse arches, carried on a moulded cornice and with panelled aprons to the windows. The panelled gallery front is on 2 unfluted Ionic pilasters, with volute caps as end responds. The baptistry is in 2 bays with an apse, and flat segmental pilasters, with cornice. The chapel to the W has 2 arches with plain tympana above lintels, a low flat ceiling, and a marble reredos with niche. The main flooring is wood block. The sanctuary is richly appointed, with a marble sarcophagus altar of 1753, brought from the dismantled chapel of St Simon and St Jude in Rome, from the Orsini family. At either end are grilled doors, with a 3-light lunette above. The marble floor is enclosed by an inlaid marble cancelli screen. FITTINGS: in addition to the main altar, a double confessional under W end, plain benches, font with cover, statue of Madonna in niche, E side. The church was built by Monsignor Hugh Lean, consecrated 8 September 1931. Leonard Stokes was assisted by George Drysdale as architect, and Stokes designed and donated the font cover. The builder was Bob Jones and Son, of Lynton, and much of the stone is said to have been quarried on the site itself. (The Buildings of England: Cherry B & Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 555).

Listing NGR: SS7165049367

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
376503
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 555

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09137/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Robins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].