This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

List entry Number: 1206600

Location

NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, 19, EAST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ashburton

National Park: DARTMOOR

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 376018

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHBURTON

SX7569 EAST STREET 849-1/10/38 (North side) No.19 National Westminster Bank

GV II

Bank. 1891. Granite front; ashlar in ground storey, coursed squared rubble above. Upper storey window surrounds and top cornice of limestone, probably Bath stone. Slated roof. Granite chimney on each side wall. 3 storeys. 4 window front in an elaborated Georgian style. Ground storey has at each end a round-arched doorway with triangular pediment on big fluted brackets, pushing up into second storey. Left-hand doorway has original 3-panelled double doors and brass bell-pull; right-hand doors altered in late C20. In centre, 2 windows flanked and separated by rusticated pilasters. Upper storeys have plain sash windows in moulded architraves with continued bracketed sills. Architraves in second storey are eared, with pulvinated friezes and alternating triangular and segmental pediments; architraves in third storey have keystones enriched with swags and scrolls. Top entablature with moulded cornice and blocking-course. In centre of latter a low pedestal buttressed with scrolls and inscribed ESTD. 1832. This was originally the Devon and Cornwall Bank. (The Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon (2nd edition): London: 1989-: 133).

Listing NGR: SX7565469931

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 133

National Grid Reference: SX 75654 69931

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206600 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 05:14:09.

End of official listing